• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electronics

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
I need to update my VHF, being that it stopped working the day I bought the boat. I was looking at the Standard Horizon Intrepid LE. I also want to aquire a GPS and was considering the Standard Horizon CP150 chart plotter. I was told that the US Coast Guard is going to mandate the DSC function soon. Any info on these items and or the general discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
When you get a new radio, get the Horizon model with the RAM mic. That way you effectively get a radio in the cockpit as well as in the cabin.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Agree with Geoff on the RAM mic.

Since the Coast Guard will not be fully operational with DSC until about 2006 I doubt that they will be mandated anytime soon. VHF radios are not mandated for recreational boaters today. I would go ahead and get the DSC capability because large commercial vessels are DSC equiped and are monitoring channel 70 for distress calls.

Ray

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks Guys,
I purchased the Intrepid LE with DSC and instead of buying a hard mount GPS unit I purchased a Magellan 330M. I figured for now it would work just fine and then with a little practical experience of using the GPS I will find out if I really need any more than what a handheld offers.