• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Emergency Tiller Technique

Filkee

Sustaining Member
2B6BD09E-7300-4E83-BE10-20D718C07BB8.jpegI managed to extract the debris from the bottom of the pedestal and now I’m trying to figure out what story it tells. The shackle connecting one side bent and I found a straight cotter pin. There’s a lot of chafing of the cables. The heat shrink jacket was torn off on the side where the shackle bent but both sides are pretty chewed.

I’m thinking maybe the engine controls and the steering were not playing well together? There were a couple of occasions where rpm’s would drop when I turned.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, the pedestal contains a lot of stuff--the control wires, the chain to wire, and the wires for the binnacle lamp.

It may be that your chain to wire connection is nonstandard. It appears to use wire eye spices and shackles to connect. Looks like they bind in the narrow confines of the pedestal tube.

YS used swages on the wires, which then fit into the master link of the chain end in a slender profile.

Perhaps the shackles inside your pedestal interfered with each other and also the throttle and shifter control wires. The answer would be to have new cables made up by a rigger in the style of the YS wire/chain connections. Note that the chain wires cross in this installation, exacerbating any friction between them.

Here's what my '85 E32-3 quadrant looked like, with engine control wires led through their specific port. Also, the swage example from the YS manual.

E32-3 quadrant and cables.jpg...swage to chain.JPG

YS document Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pedestal jam discussion moved here:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
How did you find steering with the emergency tiller? I test fit mine recently and discovered it’s offset to the point where it interferes with the wheel and the stern rail. Looks like I’ll need to shorten the “tiller” and in an emergency remove the wheel. In my narrow river I’ll be aground or under a barge long before I can get the plate unscrewed, wheel off and emergency tiller in place.
View attachment 44535
I was perusing the manual the other day and noticed the instruction to remove the wheel as part of the process of deploying the emergency tiller. Never would have noticed had I not had such a fine experience with mine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Such lines, oy. Michelangelo it could be. Bruce Michelangelo.

Say, is Aylwin awlgripped? The stripes are uh differunt.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
The stripes do seem unconventional. As near as I can tell the finish is original. I wet sanded last year and a hash pattern started to show through in places where it was extra thin but mostly I’m just polishing blisters. But the blisters are yar.