• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine De-greaser

chtaylor

Member II
I'm thinking about cleaning up my 1977 E32-2 this weekend. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using Gunk automotive engine de-greaser to clean the engine and engine compartment on a fiberglass boat?

Thanks,
Charles Taylor

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Oil Eater

Charles,

I bought some degreaser called Oil Eater & will try it on that job this weekend. I can report back after that but it may be too late for you..

Keith
E33

jreddington

Member III
Don't know about Gunk, but I've been pretty happy using just Simple Green (available most places) and Purple Power (gallon jugs available at Wal-Mart, some other places have spray bottles).

Have used them for both automotive engines and my boat diesel. But I do this a couple times a year for the cars and once a season for the boat so I'm not trying to break through a long term build up of crud. No problems with the fiberglass using either one.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
Gunk is a petroleum based product and if it gets into the bilge leaves a nasty smell around for a while. (I found out the hard way).

I'd stick with one of the other products, Simple Green etc.

chtaylor

Member II
Thank you all for the input. I think I'll dump the Gunk (not into the boat, however) and try Simple Green or Purple Power.

Charles

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
cleaner

As I write this message from the nav table at the boat, after working on it today, I can report that Oil Eater brand of cleaner/degreaser works very well.

I struggled with a damn hose all afternoon, though! I was replacing the hose from the seacock to the sea water pump. It was a 5/8" hose on a 3/4" hose barb. What a PITA!:esad:

Keith
E33