• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Mount Lag Bolts XP25

archangel

Archangel
Have a stripped out lag bolt on my Ericson 35 MK. 3 1988 sailboat engine mount. I was very curious on how to fix this. I think the easiest way would be to just install the next size up bolt. No way to access under fiberglass to install a nut on opposite end of bolt. Thought about hole sawing into the fiberglass , this seems extreme. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Chris Mc.

Member III
You might be able to fill the stripped out core with resin (West System) and then once cured, drill it the size of the bolt shaft diameter/minus the threads.
I haven’t encountered this situation on a boat engine mount but have successfully done so on other applications.

Scratch that suggestion. I just saw the above link referencing the hollow void space. Oops.

archangel

Archangel
Have a stripped out lag bolt on my Ericson 35 MK. 3 1988 sailboat engine mount. I was very curious on how to fix this. I think the easiest way would be to just install the next size up bolt. No way to access under fiberglass to install a nut on opposite end of bolt. Thought about hole sawing into the fiberglass , this seems extreme. Any and all suggestions welcome.
THANKS ALL for your input. Will check back in hopefully successful !

JSM

Member III
After changing the motor mounts on my 34-2 I discovered that I had multiple striped holes and could not hold a decent engine a alignment. Seems that more than one trip in and out of the hole with a lag bolt tends to strip the threads in the wood. My solution was use 1/8" thick steel plate ,drill holes for the motor mount screws and weld nuts to the underside of the plates. I then drilled holes in the engine bearers for the nuts to go into and lag bolted the plates in place. The motor mounts are now held in place with machine bolts instead of lag screws.
While I had the engine lifted I switched from a three point mounting system to Four.

The old front mount has since been removed.

Attachments

• 4 mounts (2).jpg
    4 mounts (2).jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 23