• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Mount rail installation

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Anyone have any tips for keeping the steel engine mount rails under the Atomic 4 from rusting? The marina I'm currently at is replacing one of the engine mounting rails, and the other is in fair condition. I'm curious if painting them, or using Naval Jelly will help them last longer than the originals.
IMGP2798.jpg
The one on the left side of the photo is the one the marina is replacing. I'd like to paint both of them to prolong their lives as long as it won't cause any damage. As a side note, there was about 6" deep of oily rust chips in the bilge under the engine. I think the old engine must have been 20 lbs lighter due to the loss of metal into the bilge. Any advise is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Dean

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Dean

Naval jelly is only to remove rust. Painting to keep it in good shape is best done with a good Rustoleum product. They do make a high temperature paint that seems to be right what you'd need. Color choice is yours. :) Good luck, looks like nice work.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I replaced one of my rails, the one under the (leaking) water pump, with a stainless rail in 1993 and it still looks like new. Whatever incremental cost it represented over a mild steel piece was worth it (and probably was not much more expensive).

This was one project I had somebody else do. He used a cold chisel to perforate the fiberglass around the old mount and lifted it out. There were a couple of ears or tabs around the old mount that helped it grab into the hull. The new mount was epoxied in with several layers of glass cloth but I'm not sure how he got it aligned properly before glassing.

I would suggest hitting the other rail with a wire brush and a few coats of a liquid called Ospho, which converts iron oxide to black iron phosphate. The rail can then be painted with Bilgecote.