• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine sea water intake

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Another thread got me thinking about this.

My boat has been in the yard for over a month for some mechanical work and bottom painting. When I took it in I did not close the engine sea water intake valve. Should I be concerned when the engine is started after the boat goes back into the water? What should I do?

WhiteNoise

Member III
Some ideas ... any more info?

When you say, "When I took it in" do you mean when you had it hauled?
What are your concerns? Without knowing what was done I can only make some assumed suggestions.

If it has been out of the water, I would change the impeller (which you should do annually) and maybe put a little grease in there as when you start the motor the raw water pump will not prime immediately. This will help avoid burning the new impeller.
Look over the stern and be sure you see water flowing. If you do not, make sure the raw water pump primed.

What mechanical work was done? If they did anything with the fresh water (coolant) side of the cooling system, watch your temp gauge for a while. Sometimes it will take a little while for all the air to bleed out of the system. If air is in there the fresh water pump may not prime or push the water through the motor causing overheating. You will then have to bleed the system. Not a big deal. Just something to watch for.

Hope that helps.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The only mechanical work was on the prop shaft. Nothing on the engine/cooling system.

The boat has been out of the water for 5 weeks. Would it be a good sign if there was still water in the strainer bowl, maybe meaning that water hadn't drained out of the raw water pump?

WhiteNoise

Member III
You should be fine

Potentially, but I wouldn't worry either way. I would still change the impeller, put a little grease in there and start her up. You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure water shoots out the back. It may take a couple of seconds but no longer that 30 or so.