• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Trouble!

Fencer21

Member II
My friend and I both have Ericsons, his is a 32 and mine is a 27. Both have Atomic 4's for engines. Here's the problem:

Yesterday out on Lake Mead (here in NV) we had an excellent day of sailing, we were in his E32, the wind was perfect, strong without overpowering the sails. Anyway on the way back he wanted to motor us all the way back to the slip, okay no problem right? Well at first he had a problem keeping the motor running, it started easily, but wouldn't stay idling. After finagling the choke, it ran and it seemed to want to go. So we continued motoring when right before you enter the mouth of the marina the engine would crap-out and copious amounts of smoke comes out from the engine compartment. So we turn the engine off, raise a sail, turn around and head back out from the mouth so we can line up our approach to enter the marina (again).

The wind isn't cooperating, and out here on Lake Mead if it's is a windy day you'll pay hell trying to get back into the marina under sail because of the way the entrance is arrayed. So I suggested that we attempt to run the engine just enough to get into the marina and then use the sail to coast back to the slip, okay he says, and that's our plan. While heading back, I pulled the compartment cover off of the engine and immediatly noticed an unhealthy amount of smoke coming out of the crank case.

Throughout the day there was a strong smell of gasoline in the cabin and while the engine was running it never sounded good, like there was a misfire or an annoying type of vibration. And right before he shut the engine down for good there was a load "pop".

Symptoms: won't stay running, runs hard, smokes excessively and engine is extremely hot! Any suggestions?

About 15 years ago my Atomic Four did the same thing. After about five minutes of contemplating options; extraction & replacement with an 18 hp diesel was my best answer.
And, she is still running strong.