• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 25 grounding bolt?

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hi all,

Does this have any practical use on my boat? I would like to remove the wires and glass over the grounding bolt. It’s not leaking or that problematic but it’s one less hole to worry about.

My thinking for removing it my boat is dry sailed off a trailer, and I have an outboard. I do have 2 thru hulls. I also don’t believe this would do anything for lightning and I sail Southern California where lightning is very uncommon to begin with. Opionions/advice please?

Thanks

E16CE555-360E-44C9-9A3E-01EAA5D5F4DE.jpeg6A0BA7DF-4EAE-4691-AD6C-34AFCCE97C41.jpeg
95FEF9B7-418C-4FA5-B4FE-DD37F08C4E2A.jpegBA22DEF0-FCB9-4F92-A115-250873A01EED.jpeg

wynkoop

Member III
Just leave it in place. I do not know if the 25 lead is encapsulated, or if it is external, but in any case it is a large mass of metal and will help with grounding of your radio equipment. It has capacitive coupling to the ocean and stray RF currents will like that. Even if it is exposed to the sea it will have no direct contact as you will of course have bottom paint on it.

If it is exposed and your rig is grounded to it then it can help with lightening. Better to blow some paint off the keep than blow out fiberglass starting a fire.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Just leave it in place. I do not know if the 25 lead is encapsulated, or if it is external, but in any case it is a large mass of metal and will help with grounding of your radio equipment. It has capacitive coupling to the ocean and stray RF currents will like that. Even if it is exposed to the sea it will have no direct contact as you will of course have bottom paint on it.

If it is exposed and your rig is grounded to it then it can help with lightening. Better to blow some paint off the keep than blow out fiberglass starting a fire.
I’ll leave everything in place. Thanks for answering!