• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 26 keel smile

Grandsailsdan

Hello everyone, I don’t post much but really appreciate all the knowledge that can be found on this forum.
I have an ‘88 26-2 that I sail on Lake Dillon in Colorado. Wing keel. I’ve owned it for 2 1/2 years and love it! This spring, I noticed (especially on the starboard side of the keel), the definitive joint between boat and keel. A slightly raised visualization of the seam running horizontally. My instant response was to check keel bolts. I did, and got slightly less than a turn onto each. Visually they look great, dry and shiny. Is the smile I am seeing on the keel as common as it is on Catalina’s for example? Was it just loose bolts? What materials are used at the factory on that joint? Is there wood present in that area? The boat supposedly has an epoxy coat under the bottom paint, VC-17, which is in pretty good shape... I already have a less than perfect rudder post seal that is causing some delam in the lower rudder that needs to be fixed (the rudder has a thread drain plug on it that I remove in the fall and insert before launching).
Any help is greatly appreciated! I just lunched the boat and I am concerned. I’m going to check the keel bolts again (it has always been a dry boat and still is) and the marina service expert looked at it and deemed it mostly a cosmetic issue. Is it just me with this/these issues, or an Ericson thing? Lots of pictures here, but I am negligent for not snapping one of the keel smile in my haste to get the summer started and launch the boat. Thanks!

Dan Hamme
Tara
1988 Ericson 26

Attachments

• 8B0ED8A0-1127-4BC9-92EE-F50F633819F5.jpeg
    8B0ED8A0-1127-4BC9-92EE-F50F633819F5.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 19
  • CA7E08EA-C338-41E6-818E-D8C84F24FF8A.jpeg
    CA7E08EA-C338-41E6-818E-D8C84F24FF8A.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 17

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Dan,
Many sailboats have that "keel smile" because of the forces on the keel when the boat heels. It sounds as if your keel bolts might have been a bit loose, so that might have contributed to that. It's important to have the boat on the hard resting on the keel when tightening the bolts, otherwise it's impossible to snug them up enough. I would monitor in this coming season to see if any water enters the bilge through the keel joint and when you haul the boat next, watch for any water seeping out of the hull/keel joint. If there is sign of water getting into that joint, I would suggest you need to drop the keel and rebed that joint. It sounds formidable, but having done that on our boat, it's manageable and gives long term peace of mind.
When you haul the boat next time, check the keel/hull joint to see if it's any worse, watch for water leaking out, then ensure it dries out, tighten the keel bolts again, fill the joint (I used 5200 caulking), paint with bottom paint and then go sailing!
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, consider that it is impossible to get a perfect joint between a keel and hull, and so caulk is present. It needs to be renewed over the years, often just considred part of bottom paint prep.

An actual "keel smile," as I understand it, looks like the keel is falling off the boat. Often even that is just a matter of fill and fair.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
That Catalina 30 keel smile was a structural issue with some of the early boats. Totally different.

Grandsailsdan

Thanks for the advice everyone! No smile, just an even horizontal gap. I will monitor for any leaks, and will probably drop and repair next season.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I have the same boat , I altered the wing keel 26 years ago ,(now a deeper than standard fin keel ) and I had the same issue , and did what most say is wrong, ,ground area and fiberglass taped with epoxy . It is still perfect all these years later. I think the problem is the wing keel ,it puts quite a load on boat when heeled and sailed hard. If I remember correctly the winged section is 43" wide . I have a wood plug for the casting of a keel shoe if interested. the modification turned the boat into a upwind rocket compared to it having the wing. , The downside is she draws 5'6"

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have the same boat , I altered the wing keel 26 years ago ,(now a deeper than standard fin keel ) and I had the same issue , and did what most say is wrong, ,ground area and fiberglass taped with epoxy . It is still perfect all these years later. I think the problem is the wing keel ,it puts quite a load on boat when heeled and sailed hard. If I remember correctly the winged section is 43" wide . I have a wood plug for the casting of a keel shoe if interested. the modification turned the boat into a upwind rocket compared to it having the wing. , The downside is she draws 5'6"
That sounds like a SWEET mod to the keel, Brad! I have the 4'11" fin. It would be interesting to see how your keel mod compares.

I dunno...your repair approach sounds pretty good to me.