• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 boom

roy9216

does anyone have some pictures of a 1977 boom rigging?I just dont understand the setup .It seems to be way more involved then it should be.

thanks

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you have a wheel for steering the factory set-up is the mainsheet attached to the aft end of the boom. If you have a tiller you should have mid-boom sheeting with the mainsheet on the cabin top. Do you have any photos of your set-up.

roy9216

Ill take some

Pictures .I have a wheel and where the boom riggs to the mast is what i cant seem to get right. It has a lift that the boom fastens to and im not sure how that is to go together and how do you hold the front of the boom up?

thanks
roy

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
I'll take a shot

Someone more knowledgeble correct me if I am wrong.

The sail holds the boom up. Immediately below where the boom connects to the mast is the "down haul". Once the sail is up, you pull the boom down with the down haul. One end of the line is connected toward the bottom of the mast and runs through a pulley/block that is attached to the boom. Pull down on the line and that will tension the main sail.

I think that is what you are asking about. If you are asking about the boom vang, then someone else needs to help you. My E-27 with wheel steering does not have a boom vang, instead it has a double preventer. See my earlier post, where someone enlightened me as to its purpose.

Todd
1976, E-27
Alamitos Bay

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Pictures

This is a new boat to me as well and still trying to get a handle on the setup.

The picture taken from the starboard side shows the reefing line along the boom running toward the mast and then down and out to the cockpit. It also shows the "down haul" block immediately below the boom that is used to tension the sail, once you have hauled the sail all the way up. On my boat, the line is connected to a cleat below and then run up and through the block. I pull down on the rope and then tie off on the same cleat.

In the closeup photo, you can see the down haul set up a little better. You can also see the "stop" that is screwed into the mast to stop the boom from "falling down".

The next photo from the port side shows the "stop" as well. There is no physical connection between the "stop" and the block. They just happen to be next to each other in the photo.

I think you also asked about the "topping lift" in another post, so I also attached a photo of that as well. The line is attached to the boom and then run up to a block that is attached to the topping lift wire (not shown) and then down to the block shown on the lower aft portion of the boom. The rope is then tied off on a cleat on the the boom located forward (not shown).

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 231

roy9216

Good shots

Thanks for your help.The pictures helped a great deal.
I would never have figured that out.

Thanks for all your help

Roy