• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Hardware replacement suggestions.

kimozi

Hello again everyone, I am planning of replacing/add some old hardwares in my ericson 27 and would like to ask your advice and suggestions on what particular/correct sizes, style, ratio, hardware, etc. for ericson 27. Like I said from my previous post, I am new to sailing and is still learning all the jargons and technical know-how of all its components.

the following are the things I would like to replace/add:

1. Roller furling system (Add)
2. Mainsheet (Replace traveler and all its component)
3. All Lines (Replace, what is the ideal size?)
4. Mainsail slugs (are there specific size)
5. Blocks/traveler (Replace)

The plan is to make this easy to sail or single handed sailing as what you all call it. I know it would be best to just hire someone to set this all up but ive asked people and they charge a lot. Also, I would really love to just do this by myself as much as possible.

Please help me make my ericson 27 in great shape. Thanks

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hello again everyone, I am planning of replacing/add some old hardwares in my ericson 27 and would like to ask your advice and suggestions on what particular/correct sizes, style, ratio, hardware, etc. for ericson 27. Like I said from my previous post, I am new to sailing and is still learning all the jargons and technical know-how of all its components.

the following are the things I would like to replace/add:

1. Roller furling system (Add)
2. Mainsheet (Replace traveler and all its component)
3. All Lines (Replace, what is the ideal size?)
4. Mainsail slugs (are there specific size)
5. Blocks/traveler (Replace)

The plan is to make this easy to sail or single handed sailing as what you all call it. I know it would be best to just hire someone to set this all up but ive asked people and they charge a lot. Also, I would really love to just do this by myself as much as possible.

Please help me make my ericson 27 in great shape. Thanks
I really like Garhauer products. They are well made and reasonably priced. I don't know what sizes would be correct for your boat, but they provide good advice too.
Frank

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Sold my E27 this April. Did all the upgrades except furler. Used Harken on almost everything. Like the light weight blocks and ubiquity (West, Defender, and many other sites). Personal opinion, but Garhauer is overkill for the 27. Unless your taste for stainless is a high priority. For all Halyards, Mainsheet, Backstay adjuster 5/16 worked for me. But I have smaller hands. Larger lines don't move as well though blocks unless you go bigger blocks (like Garhauer). Plus the cost of larger blocks and line. Other control lines I used 1/4 and it works fine. That is Vang, Reef, Spinnaker pole controls and Cunningham.
Mainsheet, Triple block on traveler and pivoting single on the boom. Traveler is Harken small boat 4:1 with 1/4 line. I replaced the traveler bridge with a 4" 6061T6 channel. Cut a radius to clear the hatch (a lot of file work!) and had it hard anodized black. Best improvement is that the E27s small main is perfect for single-line reef. Here's some pictures of the reef system I designed. a little hard to follow but green line is 2nd reef and blue first. New owner was blown away with how fast you can reef the boat from the cockpit. Sea trial in 20+ winds was a trill. Started out with one reeef and put in the second reef after first 10 minutes on the water. Took less than two minutes. But then again, i sail on a river. We run out of water real quick.

I could probably re-discover the Harken block number I used (I stopped keeping records after so many trial and error purchases). Do recommend recording line length as replacement the next time is a lot easier. Let me know what you need numbers for if you go with Harken.

Attachments

• r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 34
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 33
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 32