• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Jax, FL I am I the only boat left in the Southeast and Gulf?

oceanbrew

Okay. Now that my wife has her toy (a house), I can enjoy mine. Are there any Ericson owners in Jacksonville, Florida or on the St. Johns River? Besides the poor Ericson that's rotting at the dock in my marina. I'd like to try and do some sailing with other Ericson owners.

Here's arriving at Green Cove Springs. And here's the boat anchored out. Green Cove Springs has a public dock with electricity and water. It's an honor system regarding payment. Within two blocks there are: a bar/restaurant, a cafe, and assorted stores. And, a Saturday night auction at 6pm. Ask around to find it.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0106[1].jpg
    IMG_0106[1].jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 78

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Okay. Now that my wife has her toy (a house), I can enjoy mine. Are there any Ericson owners in Jacksonville, Florida or on the St. Johns River? Besides the poor Ericson that's rotting at the dock in my marina. I'd like to try and do some sailing with other Ericson owners.

Here's arriving at Green Cove Springs. And here's the boat anchored out. Green Cove Springs has a public dock with electricity and water. It's an honor system regarding payment. Within two blocks there are: a bar/restaurant, a cafe, and assorted stores. And, a Saturday night auction at 6pm. Ask around to find it.

Nope!

There are a few of us on the Gulf. We're in Pensacola, there's also a 46 Ericson, a 38 in Mobile and Randy Rutledge up in Georgia. He brings his boat down annually.

Larry Lee is right up in Savannah.

Glad to have another east coaster!

Last edited:

SeaRogue

Member II
Moonshine is in Treasure Island

In addition to my boat, Moonshine, an E 323, I know of at least two others in the Tampa Bay area. There is an E35 owned by Jim Masson who belongs to the Boca Ceiga Yacht Club in Gulfport. I raced with them last Sunday and saw another Ericson, perhaps a 35 named Idler which was also in the race.

Bill Kitchens

Ericsons in Ft Lauderdale

Nope!

There are a few of us on the Gulf. We're in Pensacola, there's also a 46 Ericson, a 38 in Mobile and Randy Rutledge up in Georgia. He brings his boat down annually.

Larry Lee is right up in Savannah.

Glad to have another east coaster!

Das Odin a 27 in Ft Lauderdale
and Lost Boys a 29 in Hollywood

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Hopefully I have trailered Rumkin to Mobile for the last time. I will have GettinAir in Mobile and from time to time over in Rick's backyard, Pensacola Bay if I can get my to do list completed she will be there for the Dauphin Island Race Mobile Bay and the BEER Cruise in Pensacola. My list of things to do keeps growing as usual. The maintenance list is not that ling but the want to list is big. There is another E29 in the Gulf Shores AL area that I have seen a couple of times.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
There's a beautiful and well cared for 35 MK in Gulf Shores, AL for sale. The owners are elderly and sailed her all over from Cuba to the Bahamas and back. She needs some work done around a chain plate but she's an Ericson.

Good to see some Vikings around here.

Now let's plan a Gulf Coast rendezvous!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Rick,

I thought about buying that boat, I had planned to view it when I came down to see you but thought better, More boat than I need and I can do the work on GettinAir in my trailer at my shop. If GittinAir wasn't in great shape I might not live long enough to finish my projects on her. For Morgan and me the 29 is just right and she can handle the boat by herself if I am sleeping on overnight trips.

Is it cold there, lows in 20's and highs of about 50 here. Makes me thankful for inside work on the boat.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick,

I thought about buying that boat, I had planned to view it when I came down to see you but thought better, More boat than I need and I can do the work on GettinAir in my trailer at my shop. If GittinAir wasn't in great shape I might not live long enough to finish my projects on her. For Morgan and me the 29 is just right and she can handle the boat by herself if I am sleeping on overnight trips.

Is it cold there, lows in 20's and highs of about 50 here. Makes me thankful for inside work on the boat.

Lol!

i was supposed to take my 84 year old dad on an overnight trip to the Wharf this weekend but the weather is not cooperating. A little too chilly for him.

If that 35 is still for sale, I bet that gentlman would be ready to sell cheap. The chainplate issue complicates things.

Come on down!

sallyjane823

A nice E27 between Jacksonville and St. Augustine, FL

I am considering a purchase of a '76 Ericson 27 which is docked at the Julington Creek marina, along the Jacksonville/St Johns county border. I live in St Augustine Beach and plan to sail her on the Intracoastal and along the coast. Was wondering if you've had maintenance problems with a boat of that age? Any difficulty getting parts? Lets go sailing!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With any 1976 boat some owner has to do a number of upgrades, gear replacement and cosmetic work. If that owner is the previous owner, good. If that owner will be you, enjoyment should include a lot of hands-on work and expense. Which lots of us expect and enjoy.

If there's a public listing you can post here, members will be able to point out the scope of work.

Last edited:

oceanbrew

Ericson Jax

I am considering a purchase of a '76 Ericson 27 which is docked at the Julington Creek marina, along the Jacksonville/St Johns county border. I live in St Augustine Beach and plan to sail her on the Intracoastal and along the coast. Was wondering if you've had maintenance problems with a boat of that age? Any difficulty getting parts? Lets go sailing!!

I'm still in Jax, and can help you with the Ericson questions. You can email me at dralexmadsen@gmail.com. There's a lot to look for in the Ericsons. The good thing is that the keel is lead, and fiberglass encased. And the toe-rail bolts that hold the deck to the hull are also fiberglass encased. Downside, the chain plates as well are fiberglass encased. We can talk once we've exchanged contact info. email me. I'm also a director of the North Florida Cruising Club, and if you're in need of meeting other sailors both cruisers and racers, we'd love to have you come to one of our monthly meetings as a guest.

http://www.nfccsail.com/

Best Regards,

Alex

Cajunspike

Member II
I know this is an old thread but I just bought a 1972 27 footer for a song. Did much reading and study. So here i am. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard! (And we like old threads, they contain the whole history of any issue).

Fire away as you proceed. Cell phone photos help a lot. Please add your boat model, year and engine to the signature line, helps members answer questions. Top of this page: Settings/Edit Signature

Cajunspike

Member II
Thank you sir. Sig updated. Here is the new toy.
Doesn't look like much but after inspection by informed people, I'm told it is in good shape for its age.
It has a rudder to wheel conversion kit on it.

Having engine problems at the moment though on the atomic 4.
Its very hard to start.
When it does run, it runs at idle only.
When you try to speed up, it dies.
Just replaced the carb that was on it with another used very clean carb. Plugs spark well. Oil pressure was up to 30/40 psi when we did get it to run for about 15 minutes
with brand new gas.
NOT running with fuel pump for this test since an addon pump had died. Was using outboard tank with squeeze bulb to feed gas to the carb.
Tried adjusting the timing when it was running at idle for about 10 minutes, then died. Could not restart.
Going to take a compression gauge to it next.
Is there a better page to post this problem on?

boat.front.jpg
IMG_20180106_172819889_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

67rway

Member II
A4

My prior had an A4, and I can attest to the excellence of the Moyer Marine forum.

Based on your symptoms I would suspect a carb issue, even though the second one is very clean. The idle circuit in those carbs is extraordinarily tiny, and very sensitive to clogging.

Lot's of good threads on the subject by Googling moyermarine carburetor, etc.

Cajunspike

Member II
Just signed up with moyermarine site.
I'll take this part of the discussion over there.
Need to charge battery after running it down and going to do compression check.
Thanks guys.

Cajunspike

Member II
Update. Found the electric fuel pump was on a separate manual switch that we didn't know about.
Charging up the battery for round 2 of starting with a new fuel pump and better understanding of how this puppy is setup.
We were trying to start the motor with only gravity fuel feed since we didn't know how to turn on the existing fuel pump(if it even worked). Found Mr Moyer said this would idle only. Thats exactly the symptoms I had.

SAINTS WON!

YIPPEE!

Ok now for an actual you can teach me something question.
The boat has a mini boom laying on the front deck presumably for the front sail, when its being used.

Whats the proper way to install/use that mini boom on the front sail?
I have a furler sail on the front currently.

Last edited: