• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 shore power

77E27

Please forgive me for my newbie question.

I recently purchased a 1977 Ericson 27. I think it’s pretty much stock from the factory. The previous owner, the second owner, sailed it for approximately 15 years. But he never used shore power. He has no idea how to hook it up and set up the switches etc. in the boat. I’ve owned many boats over the years but this is the largest and my first with shore power capability. I only have the owner’s manual to go by but that information is limited.

Can someone send me, as best you can tell, a set of step-by-step instructions for setting up the switches in the boat for the shore power to work as it should? I can connect the cable to the boat and pedestal properly, no problem. But I’m not sure about setting up the switches. I’ve attached 3 photos of the switches in the boat.

Honestly, all I really want to do is turn on a light inside the boat so I can see where to vacuum inside the boat. But I’d like to do so using shore power so I can learn how to use it.

Thank you for your time and information.

28787E4C-0E34-444D-9FA8-B3C5CDEB7707.jpeg

Attachments

• F24164B6-20A2-401B-8590-BAF3EAF755C8.jpeg
    F24164B6-20A2-401B-8590-BAF3EAF755C8.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
  • AE00888A-FFCF-4E46-AAEF-3643E4714CC7.jpeg
    AE00888A-FFCF-4E46-AAEF-3643E4714CC7.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 77

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I can get you started, and others can correct, add, etc. Once you've plugged your cord in at the dock, and connected to boat, making sure those connections are secure and will not come undone in wind and waves, turn on the Main switch on your AC panel, your first pic. Also turn on your Receptacle switch for outlets where you can plug in your vacuum. On your DC panel, second pic, turn on Main and then lights or other accessories you need.

Turn the red switch in your third pic to All. Do not ever switch that red battery switch while the engine is running, or you could wreck your alternator.

I would be more comfortable if before switching everything on, you could find your batteries, determine if you have both a house and a starting battery, and if so, which one connects to the One and the Two setting on your red battery switch. Also, check the charge level on the batteries with a multi meter, to ensure they are charged. Also, do you know if you have a battery charger on the boat, or only the alternator to recharge batteries.
Lots to think about, but this may get you started.
Frank

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Hi,
I can get you started, and others can correct, add, etc. Once you've plugged your cord in at the dock, and connected to boat, making sure those connections are secure and will not come undone in wind and waves, turn on the Main switch on your AC panel, your first pic. Also turn on your Receptacle switch for outlets where you can plug on your vacuum. On your DC panel, second in your pic, turn on Main and then lights or other accessories you need.
Turn the red switch in your third pic to All.
I would be more comfortable if before switching everything on, you could find your batteries, determine if you have both a house and a starting battery, and if so, which one connects to the One and the Two setting on your red battery switch. Also, check the charge level on the batteries with a multi meter, to ensure they are charged. Also, do you know if you have a battery charger on the boat, or only the alternator to recharge batteries.
Lots to think about, but this may get you started.
Frank
I don't know what the black switch is below the red battery button. Does the manual indicate, or does someone know? There is an orange "blower" label to the left of it, so it could be that if there is no other switch for the blower closer to that label.
Frank

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

For what it;s worth to you, I'd hire a marine electrician to do all that and survey battery connections and outlets too.

The DC system I do work on myself.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

There is a reply in this thread with a shore power upgrade in an E-27.

77E27

Frank, great information. Thank you. I’m now 4 1/2 hours from the boat so I’ll have to check those wires the next time I’m at the boat. I did turn on an interior light and tried the red battery switch on “1, 2, and both” positions. The lights worked in each position and and as I switched to the next position the light turned off and then back on again when the switch was in the next position. I don’t know if this tells us anything related to your question about the house battery versus the starting battery but the cabin lights do work from all three red battery switch positions.

Loren and Christian, Thank you both for your great information and suggestions as well. Loren, I look forward to reviewing your upgrade in more detail.

Frank Langer

Hi,
Nice that the lights work in each of the 1,2, and both positions. Christian has a point that it may be worth hiring a marine electrician for an hour to become really comfortable with your electrical system and have the opportunity to ask questions and ensure that everything looks ok and is up to code.
But if that's not an option, my next step would be to use a multimeter to check battery charge level (you don't want to draw it down if the shore power cord is not keeping batteries charged, as I still don't know if you have a battery charger or how the shore power recharges the battery). I would turn each of your DC panel switches on one by one to see if everything is working--interior lights, running lights, etc. I would then turn all switches off and disconnect the shore power cord so there is no electricity running, and follow the wires from each of your batteries to the battery switch and from there to your start switch, etc. to begin to understand the wiring circuits on your boat. The manual may contain an electrical diagram to assist with this. While you're doing this, keep an eye open for any significant corrosion on connections, or loose connections.
Good luck, and ask questions as necessary--there is lots of wisdom on this site. :)
Frank
p.s. I am not an electrician, though I have learned to do most of the electrical repairs and problem-solving on our E30+, but always still learning.

77E27

Frank, This is great.

I will trace as you suggested. Oh, there is an older (10 year old or more) solar battery charger connected to one battery. That is the only charger on the boat.

I also plan to hire a marine electrician to go over the electrical system with me, as Christian mentioned. Very good suggestion.

Thank you to you and everyone. Wealth of information here in the members and this site.

77E27

Frank and all,

A friend went to my boat today and took at look at the electrical system. (I'm 4 plus hours away.) He did not find a charger on the boat unless it is in the Ericson panel. We do not think there is a charger on the boat. He also could not figure out what the black switch is under the red battery switch that's labeled "blower". He didn't spend a great deal of time on that. He did find that the batteries are fully charged. There is a solar charger connected directly to the batteries. He plugged the shore power cord into the boat. He plugged the cord into the pedestal on the dock. He went under the sink in the galley and turned on the "Main" switch (shown in the photo in my earlier post). He could not get the "Receptacles" switch or the "Spare" switch to turn on. I had the same problem. We think the issue may be in that box. Or there is an issue somewhere else that we're not aware of. He's a very knowledgeable boat owner/builder. But he's 80 and having some health/mobility issues and didn't feel up to doing any more digging around on the boat. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for us. (And I do plan to have a marine electrician go over the boat with me whenever I can get back to the boat. My friend just had the time and interest to go take a basic look today.)

Frank Langer

Frank and all,

A friend went to my boat today and took at look at the electrical system. (I'm 4 plus hours away.) He did not find a charger on the boat unless it is in the Ericson panel. We do not think there is a charger on the boat. He also could not figure out what the black switch is under the red battery switch that's labeled "blower". He didn't spend a great deal of time on that. He did find that the batteries are fully charged. There is a solar charger connected directly to the batteries. He plugged the shore power cord into the boat. He plugged the cord into the pedestal on the dock. He went under the sink in the galley and turned on the "Main" switch (shown in the photo in my earlier post). He could not get the "Receptacles" switch or the "Spare" switch to turn on. I had the same problem. We think the issue may be in that box. Or there is an issue somewhere else that we're not aware of. He's a very knowledgeable boat owner/builder. But he's 80 and having some health/mobility issues and didn't feel up to doing any more digging around on the boat. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for us. (And I do plan to have a marine electrician go over the boat with me whenever I can get back to the boat. My friend just had the time and interest to go take a basic look today.)
It sounds like you're making some progress, but still a good idea to have a marine electrician take a look.
I have never heard of, nor seen, a battery charger inside the A/C box, so my guess is that your solar charger is the only thing charging the batteries, and the shore power would power up the receptacles to allow use of a heater, vacuum, electric tools etc, if you can get the receptacle switch on the panel working. It could be corroded and stuck, cause you said earlier that the previous owner didn't use it.
The spare on the panel is usually just room for another circuit to be added, so I don't think that's relevant in your situation at the moment.
I'll be interested in what the electrician reports.
Good luck with it - - it's all a learning experience that we all go through.
Frank

77E27

Thank you, Frank! Your information is very helpful. I need to get that electrician in there.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Since you have a shore power connection, I'd be surprised if you don't have a battery charger somewhere (or at least did at one time). But, if it stopped working and wasn't replaced by the PO, maybe that was their impetus for adding solar power. Anyway, see if you can trace heavy gauge cables leading away from the back of the shore power socket and see where they go. It's possible that your AC cables 'split' behind the socket - one going directly to the AC distribution panel and the other to the battery charger (then more cables go from there to the batteries). I'm guessing you've already traced the paths of all wires connected to the batteries and only found cables going to the 1/2/off switch? If an old charger died and was removed/ignored, wires between it and the battery bank may have been disconnected and removed.

Frank Langer

Since you have a shore power connection, I'd be surprised if you don't have a battery charger somewhere (or at least did at one time). But, if it stopped working and wasn't replaced by the PO, maybe that was their impetus for adding solar power. Anyway, see if you can trace heavy gauge cables leading away from the back of the shore power socket and see where they go. It's possible that your AC cables 'split' behind the socket - one going directly to the AC distribution panel and the other to the battery charger (then more cables go from there to the batteries). I'm guessing you've already traced the paths of all wires connected to the batteries and only found cables going to the 1/2/off switch? If an old charger died and was removed/ignored, wires between it and the battery bank may have been disconnected and removed.
I noted in the E27 manual that Christian had referenced above, that the battery charger was optional on these boats, so there may or may not have been one.
Frank

Gaviate

Member III
I have a '72 27 and the battery charger is installed on the bulkhead in the port lazeret of the cockpit. Not convenient location but certainly out of the way. The DC negative bus is there as well as other items to puzzle over:) My first impulse upon finding this when I bought last spring was to tear it all out and start over....thankfully dockmaster Yogi imparted some words of impact when he asked "why you gonna fix something that ain't broke?" Honestly I'm still thinking about it tho!

sailing42

Member II
The original 27 was powered by an Atomic 4 gasoline engine. One safety requirement prior to starting would be to run the blower to get rid of any fumes - thus the blower switch. The blower should be in the engine compartment sort of towards the rear. The electrical panel (110 volts for shore power) should be upgraded to either a double pole main breaker at minimum or the latest ELCI breaker which functions almost like a household GFI - it will trip if there is any leakage to ground. The new circuit breaker will also have LED's which would indicate reverse polarity - something which happens occasionally at some marinas. Electricity and water don't mix and an old setup like yours would make me very wary of plugging in. Blue sea systems has lots of info online, as well as the people on this forum.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
My 73' E27 came with a household circuit breaker and romex circa 1970s. I think a previous owner installed it. I upgraded both AC and DC systems with marine grade components and wiring. The only thing that remains is the original Ericson switch plate which I could not bear to lose.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
My '77 E27 also came with a household circuit breaker and romex wiring. Breaker box was located on the bulkhead in the port lazarette next to the black iron exhaust line and mixing head. Shorepower only connected to 2 regular 110v outlets, one port and one stbd above the interior settees. There was no battery charger built in. If your batteries ran low you plugged a car charger into the outlets while on shorepower and charged them manually.

The 12v system had the main big red battery switch near the floor on the stbd side of the engine compartment. Also had a separate black switch under it for the engine compartment blower since it was originally powered with a gas A4. DC circuit panel was located above the sink on the port side. I added a separate switch above that for the anchor light since the original panel didn't have one or room for one. Had two car sized deepcycle batteries so not a lot of excess storage.

Due to this setup, my approach was to minimize power consumption at anchor. Kept the icebox, no fridge, changed all the lights to LED (back when they were expensive, sigh..) but still used an oil lamp for main lighting. Had a kerosene stove for cabin heat.

Worked great for 30 years.

Always thought the point was to get away from it all, not see how much of it you could take with you.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro TherapyAft interior.JPGGalley.JPG

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Kevin, that sounds exactly right. Really wondering now if that funky AC circuitry was the option back then? Or maybe, that is what owners came up with and passed the knowledge forward. The simplicity of my E27 is so hard for me to part from as I have been looking for my next boat. At least for what I do and where I sail, it's a perfect fit.