• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 head problem

I recently bought an Ericson 29. My head is clogged or not flushing properly. The head has an eletric flush. No holding tank. I need a detailed diagram for the system, or advice on what to do to fix this problem. I have tried plunging the head, adding vegetable oil to lube things up. The through hull discharge valve is open. The intake valve works properly and slowly fills the head with water. Anyone with advice please help. I have hit a wall with things to try. I would rather fix this problem myself than taking it in to someone to work on the head.

Mariner's Honey :esad:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
While I don't know this type of head, could it be that if the boat has been in the water for awhile, the outside of the discharge is clogged with barnacles or something similar to prevent it discharging? Just a thought...
Frank.

paul culver

Member III
I have the Raritan electric on my E29. I like Frank's suggestion. Close the discharge through hull valve and disconnect the discharge hose from the valve. Open the valve briefly to see if sea water comes in. If it does, then blockage is upstream (in the hose or head). If not, blockage is in the through hull.
And yes, this will be messy.

--Paul

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I do not think I would use Paul's method to test for a clogged through hull. If there is a massive clog, you may not be able to close the seacock again. You live in San Diego. Go swimming. Open the seacock(with the hose still on:rolleyes: ) and then dive it with a bottle brush. You will know immediately if it is clogged.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Check Out The Specs And Documents Section On This Site

IF IT TRULY IS THE ORIGINAL HEAD YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE SPECS AND DOCUMENTS SECTION ON THIS SITE AND DOWN LOAD THE PDF FILE.

E29, E27 Sanitation & Plumbing Syst.
zipped pdf, 778 kb
Download!