• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 in upstate NY

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Guesses...... By my quick error-prone calculation the asking price might be less than the value of the lead ballast. Engine is oddly identified. Perhaps the seller/advertiser is not the owner. Worth fixing up, for the right person. Perhaps recently most used, docked, as a live aboard?

windblown

Member III
Guesses...... By my quick error-prone calculation the asking price might be less than the value of the lead ballast. Engine is oddly identified. Perhaps the seller/advertiser is not the owner. Worth fixing up, for the right person. Perhaps recently most used, docked, as a live aboard?
Agree, on all points. From the post, the writer may not know the value of an Ericson and has priced it like other ‘70s boats of that length around here. I’ll try to get some more information.

markvone

Sustaining Member
I'll throw this thought out there: What is the selling price of an inboard powered sailboat with a non-functional inboard? Or another way to look at it, what is the discount from "typical" selling price most people will expect?

Negatives:
Not attractive to someone who wants (or dreams) to cruise long distance.
Not attractive to someone (this was me) moving up from a smaller sailboat (E23) looking for: a) standing headroom, b) enclosed head and c) INBOARD POWER
Cost of a re-power ($ DIY to $$$ complete professional job) plus hassle factor.

Positives:
Not as big a discount for an E29 sized boat. Bigger discounts (up to free) for larger boats that are not valuable or desirable.
Often the inboard just needs tune-up or minor parts to run.
A (rare) handy person may remove, rebuild and re-install for just cost of parts.
For a daysailor or someone on a lake, an outboard will be fine or possible electric conversion
Works great for live aboard only
My be very attractive to the irrational dreamer (isn't this really all of us to some extent?)

Mark

frick

Member III
Having it repowered my ol 1971 E29 about 19 years ago.... It's not a cheap upgrade, but it was worth it for me.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Shows well in pictures(if they are current). Good time to jump to a diesel, seems to be no shortage of 2 & 3 cyl. used ones which would take the sting out of the repower costs.

Fnagelmann

I bought an E29 last October. Was clean, had new paint, thtough hulls etc. Universal engine in good shape. I had to replace all the standing rigging and the mast step. Spreaders were rotten. Love the boat and now I'm commited! Oh yes, had to replace the dreaded Hurd 50 transmission.