• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 stanchion

padrik

Hello,

I am looking to repair / replace a stanchion on my boat. I searched the site and saw that Railmakers is the original manufacturer for these stanchions.

While I wait to hear back from them I just wondered if what I post here looks like the same stanchions any of you have. I have to consider that just because Railmakers might have been OEM, its possible a previous owner replaced all stanchions with something else.

thoughts ?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_173725.jpg
    IMG_20210921_173725.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 27

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes, those are the same ones that I have. You can see the fiberglass was molded to fit the base.

What's wrong with it? I had one that got slightly bent during a haul-out and it wasn't hard to straighten. Also none of the stanchions had any sort of backing plate (except 1/2 inch washers) and none of the deck holes were ever "potted" as is now standard practice. The ones near the front of the cockpit just bridge the deck and liner sandwich with no core at all, so can be a bit wobbly. I poured a lot of thickened epoxy down those holes to try to fill voids and make a more solid base. (After taping up the holes from below.) Then re-drilled the holes. It required three or four sessions, as the stuff would slowly slump down into the void. I think/hope it did some good.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
You can get new ones at Catalina Direct. They are the same as for the Catalina 27. I think they sell them straight and 2 different angles. I think their prices were reasonable.

padrik

Thanks for your responses. And Todd, the picture I uploaded is of the still good one. The other is bent and broken at the weld.

padrik

Todd, I have one more question for you since you too have and E29. I emailed to the guy at railmakers and their stanchion seems to be exact, i doublechecked the holes on the baseplate and dimensions. They say that their stanchions are at 6 degrees. its that correct ? Just lookin at the stanchion i don't know what it is. The stanchion i'm replacing is Starboard side near the cabin entrance. 1st one from the aft of the boat.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Six degrees sounds about right - it's been a couple of years since I had them off and no time to go to the boat today to try to measure. One thing I've learned in the years I've been working on this boat is that there is no "flat" or "level" baseline to measure from anywhere. However there are apps for the iPhone ("Clinometer" or "Theodolite" are two nice ones) that let you measure the difference between two angles. That's about as sophisticated a measurement as I'd get, and probably +/- 1 degree. (The phone measures to 0.1 degree, but the boat is moving while you're moving to the other angle.)