• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Design Change 1984

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mark,
When you get a chance & if you can get to it, measure the height of the forward side of the tank where the fuel PU is located(deepest portion). I had found some old drawings supplied by another owner that showed the tank at 11.75" tall but when I measured mine it was 13.75" and obviously was not coming out the lazarette now. It could just be a tank capacity purchase option and if yours is the shorter we'll know for sure. Maybe that's why my plywood board seems to be narrower ? Don't think my gauge is accurate either but when I pumped out all the fuel last week I got close to 23 gallons. There was about 1 1/2" of air on top when I started so close to 25 g for sure. All that said I am going to try and repair tank in place. I have another post regarding fuel tank issue and probably post process there when I start in spring.
Hi Dave,
I continue to be interested in this thread, and it's complexity. I think we agreed earlier that my hull #637 was built in Oct. 1984, so after the change you reference. But I am almost sure that I have the 25 gal fuel tank rather than the 19 gal that you think comes in the later models. So I think we all need to be cautious to not assume that either earlier or later is consistently different in all aspects--it might have depended a bit on what supplies were still available in the Ericson inventory as they were making the change, though likely any change affecting the hull/deck mould would be consistent, I would think.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Frank,
I agree and think fuel tank size very well could just be a purchase option. That is why I was hoping Mark could check and if his is shorter we'll know that is not a date specific change and just a purchase point option. It would also be great if you could measure yours if possible. It could be your tank is shorter but longer or wider to fit the liner/floor on your boat but still hold 25 gal ?

Frank Langer

Frank,
I agree and think fuel tank size very well could just be a purchase option. That is why I was hoping Mark could check and if his is shorter we'll know that is not a date specific change and just a purchase point option. It would also be great if you could measure yours if possible. It could be your tank is shorter but longer or wider to fit the liner/floor on your boat but still hold 25 gal ?
Hi Dave,
I got to the boat today. My fuel tank is almost totally covered by the floor board, so the only measurements I could get, laying on my side, were the height at the front V to top of tank is about 12 1/4" and the width across the top is about 24", but neither top corner is visible so I could only do it by feel with the tape, so it might be slightly off.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Hi Dave,
I got to the boat today. My fuel tank is almost totally covered by the floor board, so the only measurements I could get, laying on my side, were the height at the front V to top of tank is about 12 1/4" and the width across the top is about 24", but neither top corner is visible so I could only do it by feel with the tape, so it might be slightly off.
Frank
Hey Frank,
So I think your tank is the one in the drawing I found that supposedly came from the company that built the tanks for EY. But possible yours has other differing dimensions to increase capacity. Attached is the drawing I posted previously, are you positive you have a 25 gallon tank ?

Attachments

• E30_Tank_Drawing_1.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 6

Frank Langer

Hey Frank,
So I think your tank is the one in the drawing I found that supposedly came from the company that built the tanks for EY. But possible yours has other differing dimensions to increase capacity. Attached is the drawing I posted previously, are you positive you have a 25 gallon tank ?
Hi Dave,
This is an interesting puzzle! I looked at the original bill of sale for my boat from 1984 (previous owner) and it listed a long list of options--extra water tank, larger winches, curtains, extra lifelines, etc., but an optional fuel tank was not listed, so I think my boat (and likely others) were built with a factory choice size tank.

I note in the drawing you attached in your post above, that the drawing is dated July 21/83 in the main heading, and in smaller print beside it there is a note stating revised 9/23/83, which to me indicates that the drawing you posted, and perhaps the tank size, was revised in September, 1983 for the later 1984 models.

I am reasonably sure that mine is 25 gallons, based on everything I have read, as well as what my fuel gauge shows. I know my engine burns about one litre per hour of operation (ie. I fill with about 20 litres of diesel when my hour meter shows an additional 20 hours of engine operation), and when my gauge was down to about half during a cruise earlier this year I filled with 48 litres of fuel, which converts to about 12.7 US gallons. Although these fuel gauges aren't very reliable, mine has generally shown 3/4 or 1/2 fairly reliably. So in this case by adding 48 litres/12.7 gallons when my gauge showed half full, would seem to indicate that double that capacity would be very close to the 25 US gallons capacity.

I can't see enough of the fuel tank under the floor to determine how it compares to the measurements in your drawing. The two measurements I provided in the post above look similar, but I can't tell if the tank is longer or any other potential differences.

Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I wish I had an original bill of sale ! Definitely not worth removing anything to measure. I have looked through the little info book that was in the boat hoping to find the original order or bill of sale but alas not there. I did however find a typed document for tuning the rig that is different than the one that is posted here on the site for a 30+. The standout difference is that it states the mast should have have 4-5" of aft rake. The doc here on the site says nothing about rake that I recall. Sorry, getting off track but the whole bill of sale thing triggered my old brain into digressing. I guess the only way to know is to run your tank empty and then fill it up. Maybe someone(hopefully) with a 30+(2) has done that already and will chime in.

Frank Langer

Yes, the lack of any rake in the original tuning document is puzzling, especially for our fractional rig boats. I have less than 4 to 5 inches, but still find a little bit of weather helm in a strong breeze and no lee helm, so I'm pretty comfortable with my tuning. A rigger once told me that to achieve more mast bend I would have to loosen the lower shroud a bit, but I haven't done that. I might play with that a bit in the spring to see if it makes a difference.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yes, the lack of any rake in the original tuning document is puzzling, especially for our fractional rig boats. I have less than 4 to 5 inches, but still find a little bit of weather helm in a strong breeze and no lee helm, so I'm pretty comfortable with my tuning. A rigger once told me that to achieve more mast bend I would have to loosen the lower shroud a bit, but I haven't done that. I might play with that a bit in the spring to see if it makes a difference.
Frank
There is also instruction on chainplate tie rod adjustment. I am going to try and scan this on my old flatbed scanner and post. Do you know how I get this into the document archives for reference material ?

Frank Langer

That would be great, Dave. I don't know how to do that, but if you email Sean, the administrator, he will help you get that done. I think the moderators also know how - - people like Loren, Christian.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
That would be great, Dave. I don't know how to do that, but if you email Sean, the administrator, he will help you get that done. I think the moderators also know how - - people like Loren, Christian.
Frank
For your personal review. Docs attached. I'm guessing this was the factory doc from the date shown. This was with the pile of paperwork on the boat when I bought it. The chainplate tie rod adjustment applies to multiple hulls...I will contact Sean to download in library.

Attachments

• E30+Tune.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 8

Frank Langer

Yeah, Dave, that's very useful rig tuning information, and would be good to have available in the resource section.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yeah, Dave, that's very useful rig tuning information, and would be good to have available in the resource section.
Frank
Brochure I found. The picture page is color but didn't translate and looks bad here. Added Jpg pic..

Attachments

• 30+Brochure.pdf
    273.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 11

Frank Langer

Dave and other E30+ owners,
Following on the posts above about various models of the E30s, I came across the following information in my files. The original E30-I was built from 1966 to 1970 and includes hull #1 to #150. E30-II hulls were built from 1977 to 1979 and include hull #1 to #47. E30+ hulls were built from 1979 starting with hull #501 through to hull #721 in 1987, with none identified after that date.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Frank that's great info ! Now we just need to find the last 30+ hull # built with a bridge deck traveler (633,34,35,or 36) and I think we can respectfully assign a "2" (or?) to hulls 637 thru 721. I started a conversation with Seth to see if he could shed some light but never haven't heard from him as of yet.