• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30 Headroom for 6'3"

John McGuiness

Hi,
I am 6'3" and wondering whether I can stand upright or lay down straight in the V-berth in an Ericson 30. Are there any taller owners who can tell me what size Ericson might work if the 30 does not?
FYI I am looking for an older boat in Canada, ideally near Montreal.
Regards,
John

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi John,
I'm 5'8" a and can walk freely in our 1984 E30+ with a couple inches to spare. I can stretch out in the v-berth, but not much extra room. The head works ok sitting on the toilet, but knees are almost touching the bulkhead across there, so it would be tight for you.
I would likely be considering an E34 or E35, but those owners could give you a better idea.
Hope that helps!
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hi John,
I'm 5'8" a and can walk freely in our 1984 E30+ with a couple inches to spare. I can stretch out in the v-berth, but not much extra room. The head works ok sitting on the toilet, but knees are almost touching the bulkhead across there, so it would be tight for you.
I would likely be considering an E34 or E35, but those owners could give you a better idea.
Hope that helps!
Frank
I'm 6'1" and fit into my E35-3 without issue. And, the vee berth has lots of overhead space to sit up in and room in the head for your knees (assuming the head is oriented diagonally as originally intended).

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
The E30+ has 6'2" in the Salon, and as far as the V berth I think the only way you could fully stretch out is to have your feet hanging out on the aft end an inch or 2. I think the 30-2 is similar but could be wrong.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm 6' 2" and was attracted to the 32-3 because of the lack of headroom in smaller boats I looked at.

I think the 32-3 is marketed as 6'2 headroom. That said, when I walk, or even just stand, fully upright my head (not hair) brushes against the soft headliner. More so even if wearing a hat. If working on the boat for long periods, I sometimes find I've been holding my head sideways to avoid hitting the ceiling. Standing at the stove, I have to hunch as the ceiling is lower toward the cabin sides.

That said, I have no problem sleeping in the v-berth, either alone or with company. Plenty of head-to-toe clearance there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of ours has owned an Ericson 32-2, for over 20 years, and plans to keep it much longer because it sails well, and... has full headroom for him. He is 6'4", or maybe a tad less.
He has to stoop slightly in our Olson 34, with exactly 6'2" of headroom. Our boat has just enough room for me to stand up, and little more to spare. I am 6' 1 1/2" tall.

Look at this as another data point. Anyhow, check out a 32-2 model......... :)

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
6’1” here with 1984 30#. I can make it through the cabin with my head just brushing into the headliner but have to watch out for the hatch trim. The v-berth is a bit tight for my liking, I can barely stretch out fully. After I glassed in the anchor locker I cut a hole in the removable decorative “bulkhead” panel at the bow end of the v-berth to access that newly created small dry space. Eventually I plan to recut that hole bigger to provide some additional foot room (trotter box I guess you might call it). I always seem to forget that task until I spend the night in there. I’ll try to take some pics next time I’m at the boat.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Trotter box to be. I need to re-do this mini bulkhead cover to allow more room for feet and toes. The glassed in anchor well is in the background. Originally I planned for this to be a storage area, but in reality its just too difficult to reach to be useful. The water stains predate the anchor well modification.

15763152-8944-45B3-A90B-A6AB646D0BCB_1_105_c.jpeg

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Trotter box to be. I need to re-do this mini bulkhead cover to allow more room for feet and toes. The glassed in anchor well is in the background. Originally I planned for this to be a storage area, but in reality its just too difficult to reach to be useful. The water stains predate the anchor well modification.

View attachment 37867
Is that a custom-made mattress?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I do all of my sailing standing directly under the main hatch, facing aft, the way Bruce King intended.

headroom.JPG

The berth measurement thread is the best place to look for a particular model. I'm 6'4" and the 32-200 V-berth, Quarter and the salon benches all accommodate my height. But not standing upright in the cabin, except under the hatch.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Tom, yeah that is a custom mattress that a distant PO installed, along with some very nice upgraded faux leather cushions and a teak ceiling in the v-berth among other quality upgrades. Unfortunately some intervening PO's were not as committed to maintaining and upgrading anything. I need to add a memory foam topper since the existing cushion is a little thin for my liking.

And I managed to scalp myself on one of the salon hatch trim boards yesterday that sits at about 6'-1/2". Apparently I need to spend more time on the boat to remember how to move through it properly without suffering a head injury. It seems that regular small blood sacrifices are a necessary part of boat ownership.