• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Thru-hulls

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I just completed sanding Discovery's bottom down to the gelcoat.
I am looking to remove all thru-hulls but found a bronze filter and thru-hull on the port side in the stern area just forward of the propeller.

Internally, that area is a storage closet and V-berth. Under the v-berth is a holding tank and a water tank. I do not see where the thru-hulls are coming through.

Any assistance from E-30+ owners and a manual would be helpful.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I just completed sanding Discovery's bottom down to the gelcoat.
I am looking to remove all thru-hulls but found a bronze filter and thru-hull on the port side in the stern area just forward of the propeller.

Internally, that area is a storage closet and V-berth. Under the v-berth is a holding tank and a water tank. I do not see where the thru-hulls are coming through.

Any assistance from E-30+ owners and a manual would be helpful.

Mark "Souleman" Soule
Mark,
Can you confirm that the thru hull you found is on the port side stern, because you then describe it as under the water tanks and v berth, which are at the bow on the E30+. I have a 1984 E30+, and may be able to help, if I can figure out where your thru hull is that you are wondering about.
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Frank, Yes, Port side stern just forward where the shaft enters the hull. On discovery that is approximately under the hanging closet. The thru hulls for the head are just forward and on the Port side.

Frank Langer

Hi Frank, Yes, Port side stern just forward where the shaft enters the hull. On discovery that is approximately under the hanging closet. The thru hulls for the head are just forward and on the Port side.
Hi,
Thanks for clarifying, but sounds like our boats are very different. My 1984 E30+ has a port side cockpit locker above the engine compartment in the area you describe. Just below the galley I have 3 thru hulls on that port side: drain for the sink and cockpit scupper, raw water intake, refrigerator drain. The head drains are quite a bit further forward on the port side, aft of the v berth.
All of my thru hulls are visible from inside the boat.
Just a guess, could your screen be a cover for the raw water intake to keep weeds and debris out?
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Frank,
Confession, after 5 hours of sanding the bottom of Discovery, I must have been out of my mind. I confused the stern end with the bow end. I have to write this one up as an old man doing a young mans job.

Thanks for answering.

Silly ole me.

Frank Langer

Hi Mark,
I understand completely how after sanding a boat bottom for many hours can leave one unsure of which, if any, end is up. :)
I don't know if you still have a question about your thru hull, but if so, let us know and we can try to help. These are wonderful boats, but hours of sanding the bottom is one of the tougher jobs for us older folk!
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Oh man, 68 and aging fast. But this is the last time I do it.
Seriously, I have my head on straight at this moment, now to replace seacocks and thru hulls ugggggg!

Frank Langer

Oh man, 68 and aging fast. But this is the last time I do it.
Seriously, I have my head on straight at this moment, now to replace seacocks and thru hulls ugggggg!
Hi Mark,
I'm 68 also, so I understand completely. Sailboats are not easy to work on. Good luck getting it done!
Frank