• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-200, What to Look For

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have written a good deal about my novice refit of my 32-200 for the past 2 years here on the forum and at www.sailboatrefit.com. The Don Casey book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" is a good general reference.

Design-wise, I would offer that in the 32-200 there is very little space between the propeller stuffing box and the coupling, which makes changing the packing material "joyful." Take a look at the stuffing box or shaft seal.

The aftmost trapezoidal windows in the main salon experience some flexing (I think) and are located at a point of curvature and therefore are prone to leaking.

The 32-200 has a longer waterline and larger rudder than the 32-3 and the deck molds were updated and improved with better winch mount locations and some subtleties with how the anchor locker lid closes. The 32-3 and 200 are otherwise very close siblings.

Of all the generations of Ericson 32's the layout of the 200 is closest to what one would expect from modern designs with the aft double cabin and head. I don't want to come out and say it's the best sailboat that Ericson ever made, but one could be forgiven for coming to that conclusion.
Seems like your boat is different from other standard 32-200s. I notice that you say you have 60 g of fresh water capacity. Mine has, I think, only 30. I do not have the STB tank you replaced--there is storage in that space. I have the Port tank and one buried under the hot water and holding tank that I have never seen. My hull number is 846 (or so). It also has the Universal 25XP and not the (nicer, I think) Yanmar you have. Do you know anything about the difference. The SailData site actually describes my boat and I am positive the PO did not modify anything on this boat. Was your boat a custom job or did Ericson change things?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Seems like your boat is different from other standard 32-200s. I notice that you say you have 60 g of fresh water capacity. Mine has, I think, only 30. I do not have the STB tank you replaced--there is storage in that space. I have the Port tank and one buried under the hot water and holding tank that I have never seen. My hull number is 846 (or so). It also has the Universal 25XP and not the (nicer, I think) Yanmar you have. Do you know anything about the difference. The SailData site actually describes my boat and I am positive the PO did not modify anything on this boat. Was your boat a custom job or did Ericson change things?
My (self-satisfying?) operating assumption is that whoever specified my boat checked all of the boxes.

More freshwater tankage? Yes.
Isomat tapered mast, racier than the Kenyon one? Yes.
Lewmar winch and portlight package? Yes.
Yanmar over Universal? Yes.
Manual windlass mounted on the foredeck? Yes.
Second battery bank wired under the V-berth? Sign me up.

Fernando's -200 and many (most?) of the other late -200 series boats, including 38-200's and 34-2's also carry Yanmars not Universals, as did the Pacific Seacraft boats. It seems like there was a trend at work at the tail end of Ericson production.

I too have noted that the Sailboat data site's description of the 32-200 differs from what my boat carries, but I suspect most differences (except perhaps for the engine trend) were upgrade options.

I also have some totally custom folding wood furniture in the cabin that someone paid a lot for in time or money.

I think I am the latest in a long line of owners who have dumped money into the boat now known as Sure Shot.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Thanks for the info. My boat must have had had some upgrades too, but not to the extent of Sure Shot. Lewmar ports and winches, Harken gear, and furniture extras. I am not unhappy with the arrangement and equipment for how I use the boat. It has a list to STB with its present smaller water tanks that they apparently tried to offset with some lead on the Port side--so I am not sure I would welcome another tank anyway. I have much more respect for Yanmar than the cobbled marinized Kubota as a drive train--but it runs fine and not been abused and is easy to service. Seems like they allowed substantial modification by owners as they were going out of business as I see variations in details through the production period.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
. Seems like they allowed substantial modification by owners
I have seen variations in deck gear on many different Ericson's from at least the mid 70's forward. I believe that a lot of them were ordered with (or dealer equipped with) multiple options. Added winches, Yanmar engines, plus all of the order list options for tankage and stuff like refrigeration. there was a price for varnishing out the interior also.

My own boat shows evidence of factory changes -- this boat was initially going out the door as a dealer stock boat with Lewmar 43ST primaries and a tiller. Then they must have had a call from the dealer who just landed a customer who wanted a wheel, the full winch size upgrade, and the second water tank, and full spinnaker gear. And... an Apelco radar, with a custom stern post in welded aluminum. I imagine that the dealer took his family out to lobster dinners for a week! :)

EY spec'd out their boats for cruising on the weekend with family, and hard core racing the rest of the time, is my take on it. i.e. True "cruiser racers"....