• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-3 battery replacement

Ahullsb

I was curious if anyone had any opinions as to whether this would be a good set of replacement batteries on my 32-3. We don't spend a ton of time on the hook and am looking for something that would fit in the existing location. Has anyone gone through the same process lately? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I have two of these exact batteries. Drop in replacement, good amp hours, solid lack of maintenance as they are AGMs.

*edit*: I will add that they often go on sale, so it may be worth waiting a little while if you can. I got some last May for $187 a piece.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
You've probably read the various schools of thought regarding battery bank composition, but it seems that for most situations, it works OK to have deep-cycle batteries (like those AGMs) only, instead of (one) deep-cycle for house use and a high-CCA battery for starting. Either battery type can serve in the opposite role if necessary. Since you're not off-the-grid much, it probably doesn't matter what sorts of batteries you have - an all-AGM deep-cycle bank should be fine.
If you later want to add a high-CCA battery just for starting (and brief high-load use, like for a windlass), you might be able to move one of the AGM house batteries to the compartment under the forward-facing port side settee bench - I think we can run cables to/from there to the main battery box, through the cupboard under the nav table: e.g., to hook up the 2 AGMs in series.

Last edited:

Ahullsb

Thank you both for the replies! It would be nice to wait for a sale but I'm afraid I have to swap them rather quickly unless I'm missing something. Neither were able to crank the engine this weekend even though I had been connected to shorepower, and voltage was showing about 9.5 on each. One battery is 7 years old and the other about 4. I like the idea of adding one in the future dedicated to the engine and electric windlass, which I would like to add as funds allow.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congrats on buying the 32-3. It helps to put model, year and engine in the Signature line so people with the same boat can comment.

What battery charger do you have? Always good to confirm, because old chargers can destroy new batteries.

Ahullsb

Congrats on buying the 32-3. It helps to put model, year and engine in the Signature line so people with the same boat can comment.

What battery charger do you have? Always good to confirm, because old chargers can destroy new batteries.
Thank you Christian, I just updated that section as suggested. We started following your info religiously once we settled on the Ericson.

I don't have detailed info on the charger since I'm away from the boat, but have it in the prior owners notes that it is a Guest 2 bank automatic battery charger. It sounds like the next time I go down to the boat I should check the model number. If it does look to be an older model, is there a new one you would recommend?

debonAir

Member III
One thing to keep in mind if you plan on ever having an echo-charger is to make sure and use the same type / age battery for both batteries. At least that's what the echo-charger manual says. Also if you ever use the "both" setting you want the batteries to be similar types I think. Flooded will have more CCA than AGM but for group 24 that might be something like 700 CCA vs 500 CCA, and if your starter is drawing more than 250 A you've got other issues. AGMs have so may advantages it is hard for me to imagine wanting a flooded except in a pinch (budget/availability/etc.).

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
As another point of reference, I have 3 Group 24 lead acid Deep Cycle Marine batteries. They were something like $85 each at Costco a few years ago.

They are set up 2-house and 1-start. Never had any problems with them.

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
I'm looking at switching out for AGM fairly soon. Apparently, the Promariner ProSport12 on the boat is by default set to "Flooded/STD AGM" batteries.

I've also contemplated splitting out a dedicated starter battery and then combining the two existing Group 24's in the standard E32-3 battery compartment into a "house bank". @Kenneth K, how is this wired/setup on your E32?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
This won’t fit?

These are 6.9" x 13.1"
The well is 11.75 x 19.12 x 10.25 deep.
So only one would fit.
20190428_175518-X5.jpg
20190428_175451-X3.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Brian, yeah, that's my setup--2 group 24 deep cycle FLAs in the molded battery box for the "house" bank, and an automotive-type group 24 "start" battery mounted under the starboard cockpit seat.

My battery box has a molded-in tray on the outside edge. Whether this was meant to hold wires or something else I don't know, but I don't think larger batteries would fit. Seems like I've seen other battery boxes without the 'tray' that could fit group 27s.

20210508_185957.jpg

Also, when I got tired of the plywood lid sliding closed or getting in the way, I drilled two small holes in the lid and mounted 2 screw posts to keep the lid from sliding when I lean it against the electrical panel (it was easier than installing a hinge).

20200622_204220.jpg

My start battery was originally mounted on a wood base bridging over the shaft seal. I couldn't stand this location because 1) I had to remove the battery to change the primary fuel filter, and 2) to remove the battery, it had to be tilted and lifted out over the quarterberth. It's hard to lift a battery when you're laying down on your side. I moved it to its current location as described here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/mariah-part-iii-lift-muffler-and-battery-relocation.544/

20200528_224400.jpg

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The group 24 AGMs mentioned in post #1 are showing $249 a piece at W Marine. I got my Interstate 81A-hr FLAs from Costco for $75 each last November (likely a bit be more today). Not sure the AGMs will last 3 times as long....