• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 33RH for sale

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Not sure if this was posted already but there is a rare Ericson 33 for sale at a reduced price in Oxnard , CA . It has a tiller ( like mine ), which makes it even more rare. I dint know anything about this particular boat other than it appears to be priced low ( at least compared to what I paid ). The 33 is magnificent in light winds , thus an excellent SoCal boat .

markvone

Sustaining Member
Interesting that this E33RH has the mid-ship galley and nav station arrangement preferred by racers to keep weight out of the stern. You get two pilot berths. Mine (hull #3) had the more conventional galley and nav station aft at the companionway with a large single quarter berth and a single pilot berth on the port side.

The E33RH is a great boat for a light air venue. The tall fractional rig doesn't require running back stays (with the original mast) and gets you a very manageable jib size. I used to end for end gybe my spinnaker even with amateur crew assisting (I was a lot younger). I'd never try that with my E36RH. With a tiller, the E33RH would be super fun to steer. It's very responsive and goes upwind like the race boat it was designed to be.
For heavy air upwind and reaching, you will find you have to reduce sail somewhat sooner than other Ericson models but the boat still sails great and downwind it's very quick.

Mark

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I agree on all points . Having had mine for the last two years in the sf bay , it can be a challenge to single hand in high winds since it is a pretty tippy boat . A new mainsail with the ability to flatten it with the adjustable back stay ( mine is internal pulley block arrangement) has helped tremendously. You also need to reef at 12 kts . Having said all that , the boat is really fun to sail especially in to medium light winds . So in winter in the bay or most of the time in SoCal it would be a blast .

I have running backs on my boat but after the first two weeks of fooling around with them single hand , I have them bungeed to the chain plates and have not used them since . If I was on a long tack traveling a distance upwind , I would be inclined to use them though because it will help stabilize the rig . I think their use is optional on this boat because there are quite a number of members in this list that have 33’s that don’t have running backs . The spreaders are swept back a bit for tension aft.