• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 33RH

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Proud to have recently acquired (literally closed today !) this well-loved and raced Ericson 33 Ron Holland-designed yacht. This boat has a history of racing in the bay area by the owners out of it's hailing port of Sausalito, CA where the boat will remain. I hope to learn and carry on that tradition. I have lots of plans for the boat including a minor refitting coming up for better single-hand sailing. Stay tuned !

Attachments

• IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 67

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Yes, she’s a beauty - almost 40 years old . I do feel lucky as there were only 27 made I think ..

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
As requested, here are some additional detail photos. Ease of single-handing tweaks are high on the list. A Tides mast track system is on order and will install it hopefully next week. Has UK carbon tape sails that still have some life left, running backs (maybe was an option ?). It has a spectra/pulley system backstay. I'd like to put a backup line on it asap. No stove or fridge (but has an icebox and room for a two-burner stove - I think there are remnants of alcohol stove there that was removed at some point. It has relatively new rod rigging and the mast step was completely redone. the nav table was a selling point for me. It's a nice place to bring a laptop and the boat turns into a floating office.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1736 (Edited).JPG
    IMG_1736 (Edited).JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow! Great looking yacht. Surprised to see just a tiller to helm. I’m sure that really opens things up in the cockpit.
About a decade ago we had a club member with (reportedly) E-33RH hull #1, with a stock tiller. Like our Olson, the wheel was optional, but was installed in quite a few of them. (AFAIK).
Red gel coat, and owner & boat relocated down to SF. That red was quite faded and I wonder if the boat was ever painted.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
About a decade ago we had a club member with (reportedly) E-33RH hull #1, with a stock tiller. Like our Olson, the wheel was optional, but was installed in quite a few of them. (AFAIK).
Red gel coat, and owner & boat relocated down to SF. That red was quite faded and I wonder if the boat was ever painted.

I'll take a another picture when I am out there today, but on the floor of the cockpit where a wheel would attach to the deck there is an outline of sorts. Not sure if the boat was converted back and forth at some point but you can tell that a factory wheel could go there...there is no holes filled or anything like that, just a visible region.

CSMcKillip

our has the option for the tiller at the transom and I do have a tiller for it stored on the boat. I always thought of it as a emergency device and this is the first E33RH I have seen without the wheel

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
As you can see in the photo, there is also a little autopilot unit which can easily be snapped on/off. there is a power plug for it installed in the cockpit. The previous owner thinks it can be setup to talk to the chart plotter. that might go on the list of projects but it's near the bottom. radio has ais want to get that set up first.

markvone

Sustaining Member
The Ericson 33RH in the brochure pictures, “OUTLAW”, that was raced by the factory, had the tiller. Don’t know what hull number it is. My E33RH was #3 and had the wheel. Mine was ordered by a couple that worked at an Ericson dealer in RI. They traded up to a full cruising custom Shannon so it doesn’t suprise me they opted for the wheel.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
All the bist
The Ericson 33RH in the brochure pictures, “OUTLAW”, that was raced by the factory, had the tiller. Don’t know what hull number it is. My E33RH was #3 and had the wheel. Mine was ordered by a couple that worked at an Ericson dealer in RI. They traded up to a full cruising custom Shannon so it doesn’t suprise me they opted for the wheel.
all the boats I was looking at had tillers . The the contenders for me was the Olson 911, Olson 34, express 34 and the E-33. I really wasn’t looking at the E-33 until a friend mentioned that it was on his short list of boats to own . They almost never come up on the market, but this one became available nearby. When I looked at it , the boat had a lot of mojo and I could tell the PO loved the boat. I made my decision in about 5 min . The rest was technicalities of the sale ( offer , survey etc ). It’s funny how 6 months of analysis comes down to a very intuitive decision. It’s all about gut feel for me .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having driven a sister ship in strong winds with a chute a couple of times, it was well balanced and did.... have 'mojo" ... :)
(Sped away without a wipe out, unlike a nearby C&C 35-3, I am pleased to say. It was actually easy to drive with the chute up.)
:egrin:

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Having driven a sister ship in strong winds with a chute a couple of times, it was well balanced and did.... have 'mojo" ... :)
(Sped away without a wipe out, unlike a nearby C&C 35-3, I am pleased to say. It was actually easy to drive with the chute up.)
:egrin:
Loren , you have an open invite to come down and sail :) . With the fractional rig , I’m expecting the spinnaker to be easy to manage for me. He also has a carbon pole . I need practice with the chute . The club boat I’ve been sailing has a code 0. This boat is a bit over my head , so it will be a learning platform for me.. I’m going out hopefully with the previous owner tomorrow and he is helping me get used to the boat . ( nice ! )