• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 34-2 Rudder Rebuild

hdlEric

Member III
What's the issue with your rudder?

The white paint thing--that's to prevent sun damage when the boat is hauled. Direct hot sunlight causes the skin/foam of a rudder to swell up and distort, so they should protected from sun when on the hard. Covering a dark rudder temporarily in paper does the same thing.

By the way, adding to an existing post--and "old" post--is much appreciated, when appropriate. It keeps all the information in one place for the next guy who searches for "Ericson 34-2 Rudder Rebuild."
Hello Christian, I hope I did not violate any rules for the forum; I have posted here under a different category. Anyway, my rudder has excessive movement in two planes; rotationally, and laterally. There is about 3/8" movement. Before launch, I tried to determine if the rudder was loose from the pin (post?), or if the movement was coming from somewhere else in the mechanism. If I understand the anatomy of rudders correctly, some are based upon an F shaped frame; if the rest of the rudder comes loose from this frame it is time for a new rudder, or at least a rebuild.
Thank you so much for your time. Howard

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think if the rudder post and the rudder blade and not securely connected--yeah, some work in store.

Wobble of the rudder post in the rudder tube, well, 3/8th isn't much. Which issue do you think it is?

hdlEric

Member III
It's good to know you feel that amount of play is tolerable; if it is in the rudder tube area. In my humble opinion, I share that belief
However, when I checked the rotational movement while on the hard I thought I heard a rubbing like sound coming from inside the rudder. It was difficult for me to tell for sure. I need another observer with more experience. I am anxious to get her out of the water and checked by a professional.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most of us are convinced the rubber tube needs lots of grease, applied through grease nipples (Zerk fittings) both at the base of the tube and the upper bearing. Get a grease gun and pump in until it won't take any more.

For wobble, also eliminate the common issue of the top bearing, visible at the helm cockpit floor, getting invisibly loose. For that, check the nuts that hold it, located under the cockpit. Requires a flashlight, a wrench and a chiropractor.

hdlEric

Member III
Thanks for the info about fixing a wobble. I will check that out. I couldn't get any grease to go into the top fitting.
Thanks for the info!