• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 Boom Vang and Boom Track ??

Michael Paul

Member I
On my very new to me 35-2 there doesn't appear to be a boom vang. The only thing the previous owner has left me is a line tied from the bottom of the gooseneck to an eyelet on the bottom of the mast. It seems this line is for restricting the amount the boom rises when the sail is raised. The 35-2 has a boom track that the boom rides up and down in. Could anyone post a picture of their 35-2 boom vang/boom setup? I'm wondering what everything should be secured to.

steven

Sustaining Member
probably a sliding gooseneck downhaul. In theory you can use it to tighten the luff of the sail. In paractice I have found it better to pin the boom to a fixed place on the mast. Then control luff tension either with the halyard; or with a mainsail downhaul (also called a Cunningham) the goes through an eye around foot above the tack of the main and down to cleat usually on the mast near the gooseneck (or it can be led aft).

The Cunningham does not keep the boom from rising when sailing off the wind.
For that you need a vang.

A vang is usually a multi-part tackle from an eye on the boom 4 - 6 feet (or so) aft of the gooseneck and then to the base of the mast . It can be cleated on one of the tackle blocks, to a fixed cleat at the base of the boom, or led aft. My layout is a cam cleat on the tackle (similar to main sheet - I have used a van as an emergency mainsheet). I usually just fix the vang, gooseneck, and the boom topinglift, and forget it. That keeps the boom at all times in a plane perpendicular to the mast.

--Steve

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, and vangs were optional equipment back in the day. They're useful, but not absolutely necessary, in case you choose to sail a while without one.

My vang control is led back to the cockpit. (Old photos)

vang.JPG...2 vang.JPG...3 vang.JPG...vang 4 old clutch and traveler.JPG