• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 Sprit ???

Michael Paul

Member I
I would like to add a few downwind sails on a sprit. The Ericson 35-2 has a pretty sturdy bow, but with such a bow angle I can't imagine adding a bobstay would do any good. I'm picturing something more like a (forgive me) the Hanse bowsprit. A few years ago I saw someone with a 35-2 and a Trogear bowsprit, but I can't seem to find the images again. How far out from the head stay should the tack of the Asym be?

Attachments

• Sprit.jpg
    Sprit.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 2

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't remember a 35-2, but I know there's a thread about an Olson 34 with a Trogear sprit...

markvone

Sustaining Member
Michael,

I suspect you will need a hefty sprit and a bobstay to carry the luff tension of a code zero. However, do you really need a specialized close reaching sail? Code zeros were developed for modern fractional racing boats with non-overlapping headsails, to rate as spinnakers, and power up the smallish sailplan in the close reaching angles. The large headsail on the E35-2 should be OK reaching in moderate and up winds unless you are using a small, non-overlapping jib. I'd consider a bigger light wind genoa on your existing furler or a light drifter on its own furler on the sprit IF (big If) light air reaching and upwind is your goal. I'm OK with reaching and upwind in light air with my laminate 150 genoa.

I would definitely consider the sprit to use with a downwind A-sail. This would allow you to use a big downwind sail without the hassle of adding and gybing a pole. Sailing downwind in light air is fun with a big chute IF (another big if) you like sailing in light air vs motoring. I REALLY wanted a big downwind A-sail on a sprit and a top down furler to avoid gybing my giant symmetrical chute on the pole. However, research seems to indicate that the downwind A-sails with big shoulders don't top down furl so great and do better with a sock for launch and retrieval. Plus, you don't want to leave any furled nylon sail up on a furler sailing in a breeze or when stored, rigged or in the bag for a long time. So, dealing with a chute on/off a top down furler is more hassle then packing a symmetrical in a turtle bag. Plus you have the cost of the top down furler and stronger sprit/bob stay. I'd go downwind A-sail in a sock on the sprit.

Lastly, and most importantly, I would consult with a sailmaker on all this. He will have better and more up to date info on the latest trends and gear, know your boat and listen to what your sailing goals are. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Mark

Michael Paul

Member I
I'm asking about the code zero because I was able to pick one up used for next to nothing. It is also star cut, which I was looking for. I'm sailing a little north of Philadelphia on the Delaware River, the wind drops off in the summer much like in the Chesapeake. I have a heavier 135, but it often has trouble downwind in light air. I would like an Asym eventually as well. I plan on flying everything out of a sock for now. How is your sprit setup?

ConchyDug

Member III
Go with the Trogear sprit all day! I've raced on multiple boats with them they are tanks and they have a great warranty.The Seldens fold in half on hot reaches it's too noodley for racing. I assume you are racing since you mentioned getting multiple downwind sails? If just cruising the anchor roller is fine, the modern A-kites have crazy high shoulders to allow for more projection to windward for deeper angles and an overlapping genoa does the rest(I use this on my boat for offshore and around the bouys) If racing find out how long a sprit your local PHRF committee will allow you to have before taking a rating hit. You could game the system and get rated for a 100% jib then get a code zero to get a PHRF bump of like +6secs since the CZ is considered a downwind sail and your spinnaker rating is based upon your largest sail usually the A2. How tight you can get the luff for the CZ will determine how far upwind you go with it. The Trogear with a DF'r will handle some crazy loads side/vertical. It's a lot cheaper to go with an A2 off the anchor roller and a furling genoa though. My 2 cents about snuffers they're just chafe promoting devices do a letterbox takedown if shorthanded and save the money.

Michael Paul

Member I
I've managed to find the picture of the Ericson 35-2 with the Trogear sprit. The bobstay looks a little close to the bow angle, but maybe that's okay.

Attachments

• trogear.jpg
    trogear.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 12

ConchyDug

Member III
Yeah they don't have enough tension on the bobstay, use frictionless rings and you can get decent purchase back to a clutch. Attached photos to show the purchase system. Second photo shows us using it with not enough tension on the bobstay for the A3. That thru bolt is titanium by the way.PXL_20210724_004725558.jpgPXL_20210724_004631323.jpg

ConchyDug

Member III
The one in my photo is the 50" it's on a Frers 41. Has a 3:1 or 4:1 purchase on the bobstay using a kevlar core line. You want low low low stretch on the bobstay and enough purchase so the clutch isn't seeing the full load. Just install a u-bolt with a good backing close to the water line and it'll work. We took a 140sqm kite up to 50° AWA on it with no issues. They are very stout, when the clear coat started to come off from the sun Trogear repainted for free. I think they'll paint them solid colors if the clear or carbon is too "futuristic" looking for the Ericson.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good discussion from the real world.

For cruisers, what is the limitation of the popular bow- tube solutions for asymmetricals? Can you see it flexing, I wonder, as a warning?

I've talked myself out of an asym, but the Selden version is all around me and everyone seems to be putting them on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For cruisers, what is the limitation of the popular bow- tube solutions for asymmetricals?
I have seen several of these on J Boats and Benateau's, and strength does not seem to be an issue. There is another problem, tho.
Local ship wrights usually have to change out the "water-proof" (not very) gasket system from the factory. End result is a double seal scheme and that seems to work well, albeit for $$$. Otherwise water will get into the forepeak area and douse the cushions.
The extendable pole, chocked on deck and a tripping hazard, seems more practical to me, or the "Trogear" design.
(My .02 worth, and YMMV.)

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Last summer I did the Chicago to Mackinaw race on a Beneteau 36.7 equipped with a Seldon pole sprit - we had no issues under normal racing conditions. Granted, it was not in use during "The Storm". The YouTube video is from a fellow racer and similar boat that was located near us during an intense first night.