• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-3

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Nice boat. Since the rigging is from ‘95, does that mean it needs new standing rigging??

JMJacobsen

Just went and looked at this boat tonight. Same owner last 20’ish years but he’s older and since Covid hasn’t used her much at all (prior to that he seemed to enjoy local races as opposed to longer Puget Sound cruising). We just poked around her innards a bit (did not sail her)…obv as mentioned the rigging will need to be replaced in the next year or two and there was a bit of leakage at some point from above (wintered in Puget Sound rain with no cover) that of course led to a musty cabin. That said, it’s got a dehumidifier running now and opening up the hatches cleared it out quickly. Batteries have prob been sitting unused too long and need replacement. The heating/stove need to be updated from natural gas to propane (Altho there are two already nicely created propane holders sunk into aft cockpit. Holding tank needs replacement to update to current regulations. Hasn’t been pulled out for a few years and will need bottom paint. Universal eng with at least 1000 hrs on it but if it’s in good condition should last a bit longer before overhaul.
I’m def no expert with Ericsons. Despite the issues above I’m definitely interested in the boat but sure would appreciate some thoughts from all of you (who are experts lol). Any and all thoughts appreciated greatly.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi JM,
Have you owned, worked on boats before?
The extra primary winches in the cockpit are a nice addition if you're going to fly a spinnaker.
It's curious that the use of rod rigging eliminated the need for a forward lower shroud. I'd be interested in knowing more about the physics of that.
Leaks can lead to a lot of required reconstruction. The forward dorade box is often raw plywood inside and if it hasn't been sealed, is one source of deck sponge. The portlights are probably due for rebuilding or replacing, and rebedding. If it's gone too long, the interior paneling of the coach top (correct term?) could be shot. In the ad photos I see quite a bit of discoloration adjacent to the heater, and some evident in the v-berth.
I didn't see much on electronics in the ad. Looks like it's mostly set up for racing. Is there a chartplotter that will meet your needs? If you need to upgrade electronics, parts could be $5K+ and another $5K+ for installation.
Deferred maintenance can be a time/money suck. We really really like our 35-3, but if I had it to do over, I'd have spent more and got something more turnkey.
There are a number of 35-3 owners active here who will be happy to address model specific questions. We could dig up the prices for what we spent for some of the major projects. And there are many more Ericson owners here with deep knowledge of the breed. Good luck!
Cheers,
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Around how much to re rig something like that? 10K?
I would call someone with a solid rep for a ball park estimate, like Pt Townsend Rigging. I seriously doubt that it would cost over 4 or 5K. Given that the designer spec'd it out with double lowers I would put them back. (When racing with a symmetrical chute it would have been nice to be able to pull the pole all the way back on a run. This is emblematic of getting the last nano knot of speed out of a boat... Nowadays most sailors might just leave the old chute at home along with the pole and reaching strut, and just carry an Asymmetrical Spinnaker in a sock for light air days. Even racers are doing this regularly. )

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I just went through some old emails around the time I purchased my 35-3 and found a quote from Rigging Only for new standing rigging. The quote was in 2020 and included swaged fittings at the top, appropriately sized wire with a few inches extra at the bottom, and Hi-MOD fittings with open body bronze turnbuckles (to be installed on the boat). Total was $1,826 including shipping and tax. This was based on the rig dimensions found in the 35-3 manual instead of real world measurements. In addition, Garhauer provide a quote for new U-bolts and toggles for $426. I've had bad luck with Port Townsend Rigging on other projects, but Brion Toss Rigging and Northwest Rigging have been great to deal with.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's on the short list of items to attend to. I'm not sure if I'm going to with Rigging Only DIY approach or reach out to a local rigging company. This is just another data point since I had it handy.

JMJacobsen

Hi JM,
Have you owned, worked on boats before?
The extra primary winches in the cockpit are a nice addition if you're going to fly a spinnaker.
It's curious that the use of rod rigging eliminated the need for a forward lower shroud. I'd be interested in knowing more about the physics of that.
Leaks can lead to a lot of required reconstruction. The forward dorade box is often raw plywood inside and if it hasn't been sealed, is one source of deck sponge. The portlights are probably due for rebuilding or replacing, and rebedding. If it's gone too long, the interior paneling of the coach top (correct term?) could be shot. In the ad photos I see quite a bit of discoloration adjacent to the heater, and some evident in the v-berth.
I didn't see much on electronics in the ad. Looks like it's mostly set up for racing. Is there a chartplotter that will meet your needs? If you need to upgrade electronics, parts could be $5K+ and another $5K+ for installation.
Deferred maintenance can be a time/money suck. We really really like our 35-3, but if I had it to do over, I'd have spent more and got something more turnkey.
There are a number of 35-3 owners active here who will be happy to address model specific questions. We could dig up the prices for what we spent for some of the major projects. And there are many more Ericson owners here with deep knowledge of the breed. Good luck!
Cheers,
Jeff
Thank you for these thoughts, Jeff! While I’ve owned/sailed a previous O’Day, I am one of the furthest from an expert as you could possibly find. (I’m an airplane expert but sailing/flying not unrelated haha). Figure I know just enough to be dangerous. Def not looking for absolutely turn key boat. Just one that has reasonable project list to be done and won’t sink first summer in the Puget Sound and make my poor husband upset. Think this one is worth at least a pull out/inspection. Worst case: don’t like what I see and I run away fast ha.
Best,
Michele

JMJacobsen

PS…the lower shrouds could be reinstalled without too much difficulty (just $$). He pulled them for his racing activities. As comfortable as this boat is down below, I don’t think he spent a single night on it. Doubt anything in galley was ever used beyond fridge for beer haha.

JMJacobsen

I just went through some old emails around the time I purchased my 35-3 and found a quote from Rigging Only for new standing rigging. The quote was in 2020 and included swaged fittings at the top, appropriately sized wire with a few inches extra at the bottom, and Hi-MOD fittings with open body bronze turnbuckles (to be installed on the boat). Total was $1,826 including shipping and tax. This was based on the rig dimensions found in the 35-3 manual instead of real world measurements. In addition, Garhauer provide a quote for new U-bolts and toggles for $426. I've had bad luck with Port Townsend Rigging on other projects, but Brion Toss Rigging and Northwest Rigging have been great to deal with.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's on the short list of items to attend to. I'm not sure if I'm going to with Rigging Only DIY approach or reach out to a local rigging company. This is just another data point since I had it handy.
Nick,
From my limited knowledge and sailing friends, that rigging quote sounds about right and PT Rigging agrees. Thx for heads up re: other rigging companies up there and your good experiences with them. Seems like a good half the obstacles of this entire adventure (or mistake….could go either way knowing me) is finding good ppl to do the work needed.
Best, Michele

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Prudence surely required, but in the big picture it's hard to go wrong with a 35-3.

The survey will tell you what you need to know, and if you can attend with the surveyor it will be a fast education.

Yes, many similarities to airplanes. Except that when the wing stalls on a sailboat, you don't fall out of the water.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Interesting.... I've never heard of a "35-300". Is that broker-speak, or was that a model distinct in some way from the 35-3?

JMJacobsen

Great link…thx for that. And will definitely accompany surveyor. Steep learning curve for sure but after hours reading these forums am convinced I want an Ericson (even if it turns out not to be this one). Put in an offer an hour ago and will just hang on for the ride now. Figure it can’t be too much more difficult than a 737 (ha, just wait till I figure out how wrong I am). Looking fwd to learning from this forum’s fine folks.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . . (I’m an airplane expert but sailing/flying not unrelated haha). . . .
Michele,
I soloed when I was 15, flew a few more hours and then my life went other directions. I took up sailing at around 45 and love it. For my 65th birthday my kids bought me a flying lesson at a local FBO. I opted for the Cessna 150, the same type I'd flown fifty years earlier. I was struck that both share a sense that one is in a fluid medium.
Keep us posted!
Jeff

p.gazibara

Member III
Around how much to re rig something like that? 10K?
We were quoted about 4k to get new rod made for Cinderella when we were in Tahiti in 2018. We decide to go Dux as the price was much less and it’s easy to do by yourself. If you are just reheading the rod, it may be less, but you need to find a rigger with a press to form rod heads. There aren’t too many, but they exist. Dan at PT rigging has one, and Buzz Balenger down in Santa Cruz can do it as well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bruce (bgary),

I blame Ericson marketing department (who else is left?). People make 35-3 into 300, I think, because of the 32-200 and 38-200, denoting aft head. But of course the 35-3 is single digit. Now there's the Olson 911--I think I read here that's some kind of Porsche thing? The list is mighty confusing.

p.gazibara

Member III
Pro
I would call someone with a solid rep for a ball park estimate, like Pt Townsend Rigging. I seriously doubt that it would cost over 4 or 5K. Given that the designer spec'd it out with double lowers I would put them back. (When racing with a symmetrical chute it would have been nice to be able to pull the pole all the way back on a run. This is emblematic of getting the last nano knot of speed out of a boat... Nowadays most sailors might just leave the old chute at home along with the pole and reaching strut, and just carry an Asymmetrical Spinnaker in a sock for light air days. Even racers are doing this regularly. )
Is it a stock spar? In Cinderella we had a Express 34 spar retrofitted, it has no forward/aft lowers. Real bendy for better mainsail control. Looks like a big hydraulic ram on the backstay as well. Maybe this is similar? A babystay is required to settle the mast down in a big sea, but otherwise Cinderella didn’t have a babystay either, the inline rig with plenty of prebend was enough for sailing in the sound.

JMJacobsen

Interesting.... I've never heard of a "35-300". Is that broker-speak, or was that a model distinct in some way from the 35-3?
Michele,
I soloed when I was 15, flew a few more hours and then my life went other directions. I took up sailing at around 45 and love it. For my 65th birthday my kids bought me a flying lesson at a local FBO. I opted for the Cessna 150, the same type I'd flown fifty years earlier. I was struck that both share a sense that one is in a fluid medium.
Keep us posted!
Jeff
Wilco. Nice work on the solo, by the way. 99.9% of folks never get to experience flying a plane alone…it’s magical. I learned in an old C150 just like that while living on an old 32’ O Day….when it came time to choose a career I realized flying planes paid more than sailing boats and the choice made itself. I still enjoy flying, but it’s just a paycheck. Cannot wait to get back to my first love of sailing. A lot has changed in the sailing world in last 20+ years (including online forums like this). Plan on survey this next week or so and will be waist deep in searching this site before asking what I’m sure will be stupid questions. If it all falls through, I’ll just keep searching for an Ericson. At least I’ve figured out the make/model I know I want.
best,
M