• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35 for sale

D & DM Cahill

Member II
I noticed the following Ericson 35 listed for sale on Craigs List under Bellingham Washington: "1977 Ericson 35 sailboat. This is a great boat to get started in sailing. Super seaworthy and solidly built. Spend all summer sailing the San Juans and Gulf islands for almost free. This boat has been professionally repowered with a 4 cylinder Universal diesel. 715 hours, Forced air diesel heat ducted into cabin and cockpit, 4h.p. Mariner outboard, Pro Furl roller furling, ST 4000 autohelm autopilot, radar, assumable Squalicum harbor slip. This boat needs a new owner soon, Please call for more information and more pictures. Kurt 360-820-0101"<!-- START CLTAGS -->

I have no knowledge of the boat or seller but it seems like a pretty good deal. Thanks. Dave Cahill

Fortune

Is the price right?

You didn't tell us the price. Sounds like a nice E35...need a lot more info though. I own an E35 MKII. They're wonderful !
Tim

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Hi Tim. The Craigslist ad listed the price as $23,000. Sorry about not giving the price. It was in the title of the ad and I missed copying it into the post. I have no knowledge of the boat or owner but the price and the interior view of the boat were what caught my eye. Thanks. Dave

Fortune

Hi Dave and Donna-Marie,
What you can see in the pictures looks good. I do worry when they say it has a fresh diesel, then they don't show you a picture. I realize you can only show 4 on Craigslist though. Galley and head are not shown either.
She looks beautiful, but that's the downfall of the E35. They have such gorgeous lines, it's hard not to fall in love. I assume you are going to have a look in person. Feel the motor before he starts it and if it's warm think to yourself, hmmm, why did he feel the need to warm her up? A motor with that many hours oughta look pretty nice. Look in the bilge. Is it relatively fresh smelling and not too wet? ( they all have some water from the stuffing box, etc.) How original is interior and exterior? Has it been remuddled much? Pull the sails up right there in the slip if you are in a windward slip and give them a good going over, including the halyards and sheets. (sails are expensive) The list goes on. Just try remember there are around 600 other E35's out there, and you have an army of Ericson owners to help you look. I sure will.
I got my E35 8 months ago for $15,000. It was an unusual circumstance. The owner needed out fast and I just happened to be there. I was lucky. It has 15 hp Yanmar diesel which is an option they came with and is a little under-powered in my opinion, but it runs beautifully. ( I'll replace it someday, not yet though). And everything is in very original shape. She's mechanically very sound. Her sails and rigging are in very good shape. She needs some normal TLC (nothing structural) and there are some regular upgrades needed which I'm already well into.
Back to your boat, sorry, I get excited... For 23,000 in this economy, I'd expect to see a teak sole, pressure water, maybe hot and cold, a nice galley, and some extra's like that.
Hope I didn't prattle on too much. I assumed you might be buying your first boat, but even if not. I thought I'd mention the basics. It's easy to lose your head.
Good Luck,
Tim

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Ericson 35

Hi Tim. We are not looking to buy. We currently own an E38. I just posted it in case others were looking to move up to a larger boat. Those are good points you make in evaluating the boat. Thanks. Dave