• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 36C Chain Plates

rossh

I'm trying to find out if anyone has any photos or drawings of how the chain plates on an Ericson 36C are installed.

Specifically, I'd like to know how they are secured to the hull and the cabin top. The boat I'm looking at has a headliner that I cannot remove right now so I can't access the area.

Thanks!

Ross

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Ross,

Not sure if this is of any help to you in visualizing but worth a try (??). While replacing all our bulkheads below, we had to remove the chain plates which were covered by wood trim and then simply went straight up through narrow open slots to the deck and rigging. The attached photos shows the deck markings still on the old chain plates.

The plate holes below deck merely had bolts with heavy washers securing them to the original non-marine laminate bulkheads. (The second photo shows the plate back in place on the main bulkhead without the trim cover yet.)

My boat is of '73 vintage and I would suspect your design was fairly similar other than perhaps having a soft cabin top liner on your "C" model.

In replacing my bulk heads - I went with marine grade plywood and have sealed the edges and new holes with epoxy to insure any future water leaks don't permeate the wood.

We are also replacing our chain plates due to minuscule crazing and cracking by a couple of holes from a lightning strike many years back. We're having them made by Garhauer as he uses the water-jet method to cut the metal which doesn't heat the steel up to possibly weaken it.

Fair Winds - kerry

E32 MkII Chainplates.jpgBulkhead Chain Plate.jpg

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Call Colligo Marine and have them made out of Titanium

Best answer is to call John at Colligo Marine, and have them made out of Titanium. That way you don't have to worry about the crevice corrosion issues which all SS is subject to on a boat.

Oh and the cost difference between SS that is only rated at 10 years and Ti which is good for the life of the boat, is less than 20%.

Guy
:)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Best answer is to call John at Colligo Marine, and have them made out of Titanium. That way you don't have to worry about the crevice corrosion issues which all SS is subject to on a boat.

Oh and the cost difference between SS that is only rated at 10 years and Ti which is good for the life of the boat, is less than 20%.

Guy
:)

Excellent advice and thanks!! :)

My son, the engineer, considered titanium but still went the SS route as we had some other SS things created for us at the same time and got a bit of a group discount from Garhauer.

Considering we'd gotten 44 years of service out of the old plates and their replacement was more of a "While we are at it" thing. (The crazing/cracking was ever so nominal.) Plus a fellow club member, who's background is in metallurgy said they would probably be just fine but "While you are at it".

Next time - Titanium for sure! (IF I'm still around) ;-)))

Last edited:

Brass Dragon

Member II
chainplates on the 36C

The chain plates on the 36C are not bolted to a wood bulkhead. They are separate aluminum plate "partial" bulkheads that extend up through the deck to attach to turnbuckles. The plate is tabbed to the hull with fiberglass.

Attachments

• 1702956_25.jpeg
    1702956_25.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 119

kapnkd

kapnkd
The chain plates on the 36C are not bolted to a wood bulkhead. They are separate aluminum plate "partial" bulkheads that extend up through the deck to attach to turnbuckles. The plate is tabbed to the hull with fiberglass.

Very solid looking and no worries of bulkheads getting water-logged and/or structurally damaged by chain plate deck leaks. Is it one piece rising up from the deck to the rigging or is there a separate piece bolted onto the aluminum?

Brass Dragon

Member II
36C chainplates

Yes, the plate extends through a seal in the deck to provide the attach point for the rigging. It seemed maybe a little weird when I first saw it, to have an aluminum chain plate attached to stainless rigging but it happens on the mast also. Should probably watch for corrosion at the pins. The tabbing of the aluminum plate to the hull and deck is covered up in the interior so is difficult to see how well that is holding up.

Glyn Judson

Aluminum chainplates/stainless clevis pins.

Dear Brass Dragon, The former owner of an early E31 fitted with aluminum chainplates addressed the issue of them being protected from the stainless clevis pins by over drilling the egg-shaped chainplates, then pressing in stainless "barrels" that he made. The result has been that corrosion between the two is limited to the barrels (now corroded in place) and not the pins. Further, because of the corrosion, future egg-shaped wear of the pins in aluminum holes has been halted. Later E31's were made from stainless. Now might be a good time to do the same. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA