• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 37

Taft

Hello all! I am about to be the owner of a 1973 Ericson 37. I'm not finding much about these boats online, there were only 50 of them built. I am just reaching out here hoping to get some feedback and general thoughts about these boats. Good and/or bad I suppose.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Love the style of that model, but have never sailed one.
So, where will you be sailing this boat? Lake Pend Oreille?

Taft

Yep. Sailing out of Bayview. I really like the style of this boat as well. So far I even kind of like the old atomic 4. Of course we are still on the new boat high. I am hoping somebody out there has some experience with this model because there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's been several decades since we visited while on vacation. I seem to recall that there is a golf course there with a floating "green"... !

BTW, does the marina ice up in the winters?

steven

Sustaining Member
I raced an E37 on SFBay in the '70s. Lots of fun.

From what I can remember:

- upwind. optimal heel around 12 - 15deg. You should be able to feel a groove in that range. Over 15deg feels fast but you are actually side-slipping (leeway). As I remember about 15kts over the deck (around 12 kts true) is where to reduce canvas. Might reduce earlier if cruising comfort (instead of speed) is the goal.

- downwind. Does not run well dead down wind. Even winged. Better to broad reach and jibe downwind. In a quartering sea or flukey wind the tail can swing resulting in accidental jibe. A preventer is a good idea.

- beam reach. Fast and exciting. As long as you can hold the tiller/wheel steady (lots of helm if sailing in a blow)

- beam reach with spinnaker. a hoot but you need an experienced helmsman and crew. and puts high stress on the standing rigging.

In general I remember the boat being lots of fun to sail.
Designed to race. So more demanding than the 29, 32, 35, 39 of the same era.
Hope you enjoy it. Let us all know how its goes.

--Steve