• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 Drawing

Baslin

Member III
Hello all,

Does anyone know or have this drawing that is in a more quality file? I am looking to have a couple shirts made and I want this drawing printed on the back of the shirt. I sent it to a t-shirt designer but the image quality is poor once it is enlarged.

Thanks

Blake

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 37

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have a E32 and not a E38 but I'm guessing that this image was taken from the owners manual?? What you need it to find that original image in the manual and have it scanned to 300 pixels per inch or more. That said, we're probably talking about a small image and if you do a high resolution scan it won't guarantee that the image won't be "fuzzy" when enlarged because you're scanning an image from a printed page and enlarging it for a tee-shirt so the scan will pick up all of the small imperfections and enhance them when the image is enlarged. Why do I know all of this? I'm a freelance commercial photographer and often had to explain this very same problem to my clients. The best way to get a "perfect" image is too have the original artwork, which I know is impossible in this case. Short of that you might try and find an artist who, using the small image, can draw up a larger one to the size of the image you'd want on the shirt. Then have a digital file made on a flat bed scanner from that art work. More trouble then you thought it was worth, huh?

Baslin

Member III
Even trying to make a t-shirt that involves a boat is proving to be very similar to boat work itself. Twice as long, and twice as expensive haha. Thank you for the guidance. I will try and explore those options.

Thanks!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Even trying to make a t-shirt that involves a boat is proving to be very similar to boat work itself. Twice as long, and twice as expensive haha. Thank you for the guidance. I will try and explore those options.

Thanks!

I downloaded the advertisement brochure for the E38 (available on this site) and printed out page 2 which has the profile of the boat you're interested in obtaining but in a better quality. I then scanned the image and took a good look at it and although it was OK for a brochure, enlarged the image just fell apart and wouldn't be the quality IMO that you would need for a crisp clean image. I know there were tee-shirts available with the boat drawing on them (I actually had one once) but the quality of the image was a poor one, again IMO, but I'm pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to that sort of thing.

jlemann

You could have the drawing converted to a vector graphic (an .svg file), then export to whatever resolution you need. There are online services that do a great job, such as VectorMagic. You can get open source vector graphic software to export to a bitmap.

I've done this dozens of times and it works great. You'll be able to make a billboard sized graphic with no pixelation.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I tried to use online-convert.com and this stylized version was the result. Any hints as to proper settings to achieve something more like the original?

e38 graphic for conversion.JPG...svg. converted to jpg..JPG

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have a PDF scan from a 1984 blueprint of the E32-3. Just tried to upload it, but it says "file to large," at 11.4MB.

jlemann

I tried to use online-convert.com and this stylized version was the result. Any hints as to proper settings to achieve something more like the original?

View attachment 36023...View attachment 36024
I've had great results using Vector Magic, and not-so-good results with other software. A subscription costs a few dollars, but I think that they offer a free trial. Inkscape is free, open source software for editing vector files. It can do the import, but last time I tried using Inkscape's import function, it wasn't very good; however, that was a couple of years ago, and it may be better now. You can definitely use Inkscape to export back to a bitmap file.

Good luck!

jlemann

BTW, you may want to print the picture and apply whiteout to the rig dimensions, scan and use the scan as your source for the vector file.