• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ericson banner

RayS

Member I
Many years ago there was an Ericson Club on the Chesapeake Bay that got together several times a year. I was one of the original officers and by default got a 32" X 48" banner which we used to fly at raft ups. My wife found it in a closet upstairs today and wants to throw it away. Is there anyone out there who will take up the standard as the flag bearer falls to the ground?
Ray Stevens

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many years ago there was an Ericson Club on the Chesapeake Bay that got together several times a year. I was one of the original officers and by default got a 32" X 48" banner which we used to fly at raft ups. My wife found it in a closet upstairs today and wants to throw it away. Is there anyone out there who will take up the standard as the flag bearer falls to the ground?
Ray Stevens

I will take it if no one else wants it.
:egrin:

Loren

Emerald

Given I'm here in Annapolis and organized some Chesapeake gatherings circa 2003-2005, I'll take it if no one else local is interested. I still think of trying to get a local group active again, but haven't been able to devote the time needed. I'd still hold on to it as the focal point. And for what it's worth, I still get requests from Spinsheet for local club notes. If anyone wants to put heads together, let me know.

:cheers:

Navman

Member III
take up the banner

Emerald,
I have been trying to get an Ericson raft up together for a while. I tried last year and have been trying to get one for sometime between the 10th & 18th of this month, but no responses yet. Linda and I are going on a short cruise down to the James river area and back stopping in a different anchorage nearly every night. We put it out there a month ago and have gotten only a limited response. Annapolis area is one of our first stops as we are in Worton Creek and Annapolis is only 6-8 hour sail away. We usually pick up a ball or anchor in back creek. We will be passing through Friday/ Saturday morning. Depends on when we get started on Friday. If we don't leave until later in the day we just may go and anchor at Dobbins Island on the Magothy which would put us passing by Annapolis on Saturday mid to late morning, maybe doing just a short run to the West River and dropping hook there for the night. Then on to Solomons. Let me know if you want to do an anchor-up or just want to sail in company for a while. Would really like to get something going Ericson wise on the bay as I know there are a good number out there. Anyone else who would like to try and do a "hook up" along the bay sometime between the 10th and 18th. Just let me know and I will give you our contact information.

Here's hoping,

Emerald

Hi Don,

I'm currently scrambled over the next few weeks, but let's see how the summer shakes out. I'm what looks like on the verge of rebuilding my bowsprit, and I think I may be putting myself out of commission here while I work through this. It's a long overdue project, and I've got a retired neighbor who's taken an interest in helping me move this project along, so I'm going to seize the help while I can, even though it's sailing time.

I agree it would be nice to get some activities going. I did have success getting some get-togethers on land e.g. Cantlers etc. around boat show time. Feel free to PM me on any of this. If something pops for me over the next few weeks - old bowsprit still attached and the weather is nice.... - I will let you know.

Emerald

Hi,

did anyone get to save the banner from the trash? I haven't heard anything further. I hope someone is preserving it. I'm still available as a caretaker if it is still looking for a home.

Navman

Member III
Banner

Ray S,
As there is a fairly good size contingency of E boats in and around the Annapolis area, and you still wished to turn over the banner, I could sail down to Annapolis to pick it up or maybe Emerald who is already in the Annapolis area could take up the banner. I was in Annapolis a few weeks ago and was moored next to a 34 Ericson "Gingersnap". Had a short conversation with him and he is also a member of this forum. A few are in Rock Hall, two more in Worton Creek and I am sure there are many in between. I think with a little organization the Ericson group could be resurrected. Thoughts?

celtic sea

Member III
Hi all, thinking of moving my E35 from NJ to the upper Chesapeake next summer, count me in. Anyone recommend a year round marina NE upper bay? I'm thinking Georgetown basin on the sassafras.Thoughts?
Thanks, John 1975 E35 "Butterfly"

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Rock Hall

Hi all, thinking of moving my E35 from NJ to the upper Chesapeake next summer, count me in. Anyone recommend a year round marina NE upper bay? I'm thinking Georgetown basin on the sassafras.Thoughts?

The Sassafrass is beautiful, no doubt about that. It is also home to many wake inducing trawlers. It also takes about an hour to get from Georgetown Basin to the open bay. I recommend you head a little further south to Rock Hall, it is an 35 minutes farther south, but you are right on the bay. I am at Spring Cove marina Rock Hall http://www.springcove.us/, but that is not a year round marina.

You should check out Swan Creek marina for year round dockage, with the option of getting hauled before a hard freeze:

http://www.swancreekmarina.com/

Last edited:

celtic sea

Member III
Thanks for that advise, sounds good swan creek. I'll have to consider, I'm thinking the boat in the water during winter, how many boats stay in? A hand full or none? The one issue is rock hall is an extra hour drive from my south Jersey location compared to GTYB.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Thanks for that advise, sounds good swan creek. I'll have to consider, I'm thinking the boat in the water during winter, how many boats stay in? A hand full or none? The one issue is rock hall is an extra hour drive from my south Jersey location compared to GTYB.

I see a handful in over the winter, I would worry too much, being two hours away in good weather.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Upper Ches Bay

I'm up on the Sassafras, moored in Money creek across from Turner's creek. Ironically I bought Ray's E-32 (original poster of this thread) a few years ago. I've hauled out at Skipjack Cove across from Georgetown Yacht Basin, and stayed in the water at GYB. Both are great options, and I think they both use ice eaters for winter slips. Had a hard freeze while in the water two years ago, (two-plus weeks of temps in the teens) so I pulled it out last year, and I'm glad I did. I was out at the boat melting ice from the bilge and hand-pumping water as often as I could, as the bilge pump and line was frozen solid. Last year, I got to spend time replacing the prop and shaft instead of pumping ice.

GYB and Skipjack are both about 6 miles of motoring from open water. If you leave and cruise for a while, they're fine. If you want to head out, sail a bit, and then spend the night back at the marina before going back out again the next day, it's a couple hours round-trip to where you can sail for more than a few minutes on each tack. Even out by Turner's Creek, I often find myself turning around before actually making it to the bay.

Rock Hall is much further driving, about 45 minutes to an hour from GYB. There are a few marinas up on the Bohemia River, but I've never been up there. Long Point Marina currently is working on my powerboat and is very reasonable maintenance-cost-wise. But they won't work on diesels. Upper Chesapeake Magazine had an ad for a special for Sept/Oct slips for $1 at some of the marinas up there.

If Ray is reading this, the boat has been great, and gradually getting better. One day it will be the best looking 1970 yacht on the bay.... If you still have that banner, I'd be honored to fly it.

If you're thinking about a remote mooring.....

attachment.php

I'm certainly up for a get together on the Upper Bay. Rock Hall always seems to be a full day of sailing/motoring each way, but I've been dying to get up to the Bohemia or Worton.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 315

Bolo

Contributing Partner

We live near Harrisburg, PA and keep our boat at Port Annapolis on the Back Creek. Takes me about one hour and forty minutes to get to the dock, sometimes more if there is a crash on the Baltimore beltway. We have been keeping our boat in the water over the winter for a number of years now without much of a problem. The marina does install ice eaters around the docks since a fair number of boats stay in the water. Ice in the bilge has been a problem over the years although this year I finally found a leak that was partially filling the main bilge so now it's dry. Mast bilge is another story because there is no way to keep water out of it. So what I've done is to partially fill it with the "purple" antifreeze (not the pink stuff) which has a low freezing temp rating because if it gets a bit diluted it still works. I also close the sea cock to the inner cockpit scuppers, pour antifreeze into the scupper till it over flows and then insert rubber plugs to keep water out. It keeps those hoses from freezing and cracking. During the winter I visit the boat about once a month to check on things.

IMO I'd rather drive further in a car then motor to the bay in a sailboat. Many years ago we use to keep our boat at Havre de Grace but it took use over an hour to motor to the bay. Out of Port A in Annapolis or on the east shore at Rock Hall the bay is easy to get to and you can sail almost right away. We often sail out of Back Creek (when the winds right) and right out into the bay and also sail back in too. Good practice for when the engine gives out. :0

celtic sea

Member III
Thanks, yes great point made about being closer to just sail. Drive a bit further as was mentioned about rock hall. Is there any liveaboards there?

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Thinking then maybe Annapolis, rock hall.
John
E35-11
Butterfly

Annapolis is an awesome destination from Rock Hall, and vice versa. Annapolis gives you more access to the southern bay, Rock Hall is a nice staring point for the Inner Harbor or Kent Island. Figure out your best drive, you can't go wrong either way.

I've never noticed any live aboard issue if that is what you are asking, but I'm sure we have full time sailors.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks, yes great point made about being closer to just sail. Drive a bit further as was mentioned about rock hall. Is there any liveaboards there?

Don't know about Rock Hall but there are plenty at Port A on Back Creek.

celtic sea

Member III
Is that the marinas name Port Annapolis? Or what is it on back creek, I'd like to contact them for costs.
Thanks
John
E35

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Is that the marinas name Port Annapolis? Or what is it on back creek, I'd like to contact them for costs.
Thanks
John
E35

It is Port Annapolis Marina on Back Creek (410) 269-1990. It's one of the best marinas I've ever been to. Almost a country club like setting with plenty of companies within walking distance that carter to boat owners. That also includes a super market, hardware store, West Marine store, a competing marine parts store and a few nice restaurants within 2 miles. Also a very well protected marina from the weather too. It's away from the sometimes madness of the town of Annapolis and getting in and out of Back Creek is a piece of cake. Web site: http://portannapolis.com