• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Designs with Aft Cabin and Head?

wurzner

Member III
The wife casually suggested that maybe a different boat might make her more interested in cruising. I like the design characteristics of the aft head and cabin. As far as I can tell, only the 34 and the 38-200 had offered this configuration, as well as perhaps the 32-3. Are there other designs as well. I don't think I'll be able to find a 38 for what I can afford, but the 34 may be within striking distance with a trade in on my 32.

thanks
shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aft heads...

For an aft head and sleeping quarters, you would want to look at the later model Ericson 32-200 (not the 32-3), the E-34 in the late-80's, the E-38-200, and (of course!) the Olson 34.
Of these choices, the Olson even has a forward-facing nav desk with its own seat.

Lots of choices to consider.

Are you going to attend the June rendezvous? Good chance to compare boats and layouts.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
The 38-200 has the seperate shower stall as well... We actually don't sleep in the quarter berth due to me hitting my head when I bolt awake in the night, but our guests (and dogs) tell us it's nice. I would guess you could get into an early-mid 80's 38-200 for $75k. Not sure what your budget is, but your current boat sure is pretty!
Keep us posted!
Chris

Blue Chip

Member III
Aft Cabin

Blue Chip is a 1990 (built Dec 1989) 32-200 that has everything led back to single -hand. It has a head on the starboard side, aft cabin port as you requested.
Frankly if you could find a '90 32-200 in good shape, I think you would be righ in your price range..something like 55 or so?

Darn nice model and great and two guests for two folks:thinker:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
39B's rock!

And are very unique. If you were on a budget and wanted a classic, I'm with Lew!! This is the nicest execution of the idea among the E-boats.

S

Mindscape

Member III
What's makes the 39B the best of these?

Seth - what makes the 39B (iyho or course) better than some of the others mentioned on this thread?

Guy Stevens

How about a 46?

Don't forget the 46's!!!!

They have an aft head, and an aft cabin, no seperate shower though. The aft head is about double the size of most boat heads that I have been in though, and doubles as a shower.

I like the 39 better than the 39b, the B interior never really made any sense to me, and since I am a flush deck snob I don't like the cabin top as well as the flush deck...... Not saying that they are not nice, etc, just not as nice in MY eye as the 39. :)

Guy
:)

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The 39B was a marketing gimmick-a cheap way to put out a "cruising"
version of the very successful 39. Slap a new deck on an existing hull
and presto! you've got new product for minimum investment. Only problem
was the 39 was intended to have the flush deck-that was part of her
charm. That raised house spoiled that and despite the extra accomodations,
it never sold well and was mercifully discontinued after a short run. The
36 and 31 cruising Ericsons were designed from scratch and intended
as pure cruisers. If you are looking for aft accomodations, check out
the 36C. She has a generous stateroom/head.

Martin

Roger Ware

Member III
"early mid 80s 38 200" - not

Chris - just a nit-picking point, but the first 38 200s were produced in 1986, I believe. The vast majority are 88-90 (like yours and mine).

Cheers, Roger.
Lew, your boat is beautiful - heres a couple of quotations to make you feel better.

I never met anybody who said when they were a kid, "I wanna grow up and be a critic."
Richard Pryor (1940 - 2005)

Pay no attention to what the critics say... Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!
Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Flushing out those Decks

My guess is that the "critics" are jus' havin' a bit of fun...
:rolleyes:
We have an E-39 flush-decker in our YC and I like the looks. OTOH, the photos of Lew's boat make me want to be aboard for the party! :)

It is almost like two completely different boats...

Trivia question -- were the Ericson 35-3 and the 38 the first designs with a separate shower stall? If spending much time on board, this would move up my want list quite a ways. ;)

Loren in rainy Portland

stbdtack

Member III
39b....

Hey Lew,

I love the 39B, The interior is beautiful and the boat sails well too. I almost bought one!
Flush-deck, Schmush-deck, the cabin house looks just fine on the boat. the cockpit sliding port makes the aft cabin a pleasure to be in.
Flush decks feel like caves below, you ve got lots of light and great headroom...Theres nothing cheap about it.

Your boat is beautiful.

Remember: opinions are like .........you know the rest

boatboy

Inactive Member
Being a 39B owner, I guess I feel a need to chime in as well. I will agree with Guy that from an exterior view, I also prefer the flush deck look both aesthetically and functionally. That being said, there is no way I would want to trade in our "B" version for the FD model.

Since we both liveaboard and have some long range cruise goals, the feel of the boat inside the cabin is very important to us. In my opinion the raised cabin top feels much more open down below, and the positioning of the ports lets in more light. The aft cabin also makes it much nicer to bring friends along for overnight cruises - or gives the two of us a little more room to stretch out and not be in each other's way (particularly while getting ready for work). Our dog also appreciates having her own back room. When we untie from the docks more permanently, I'm sure we'll appreciate even more the extra large fuel and water tanks afforded by the raised sole.

It should be pointed out that there were a couple of different layout options on this boat. One version has an aft head leading to the aft cabin area. Ours does not have that - thankfully. I think in a boat of this size, that extra head takes up way too much room, and it's extra wall encroaches into the open living space. Instead of this head we have an additional large hanging locker.

From a sailing performance standpoint, I believe the FD and B versions are very similar. The FD is actually a tiny bit faster potentially due to a slightly taller mast. Of course as soon as you start reefing, it no longer matters. Either way, she is a very sweet sailing machine.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You have a absolutely gorgeous boat.

Lew,

You have a absolutely gorgeous boat. I only wish I could afford such luxuries. I love the interior and the deck layout. Looks like a optimum cruiser to me but what do I know, I am a lowly E-27 cruiser. It makes me want to sell the house and find a 39B to live aboard! I have been aboard a 46 and its a bit dark down below. It had some prism lighting but could have used more. I really like the aft facing sliding window you can pass a clod one through. Yeah, I know, the E-46 has two aft cockpit windows.:hail:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hi Frank,
I guess I always liked the 39's hull form better than the newer generation-just a bit "sweeter"-again IMHO. And while I am loathe to disagree with Martin (never a smart thing), and I agree with his explantion of why the B came into being-but I still think it produced a nice, pretty boat that had some of the best features of the 39 with a lighter, more airy cabin. I think the overall look of the B is pretty-but hey, that's just me.

On the topic of performance-I think Greg said the FD was faster in lighter air due to the taller stick. That may be partly true, but I would put my money on the FD for other reasons-even if they had the same sail area: Lower CG, Less windage, Less weight (overall and in the ends). I think side by side the FD will always have an edge-and because of those factors I think it will actually do better (relatively) the windier it gets! Again, lower CG, less weight, etc..

That does not mean the 39B is a slouch-it ain't, but we do have to be realistic-and since I could hear the blood draining from Lew's wrists after the brutal attacks, I had to at least partly come to his defense!

Cheers,
S

boatboy

Inactive Member
Seth,

While it wouldn't surprise me if the "B" version does weigh a bit more, the design spec shows it to be identical to the FD model - 19,000 lb. I would also imagine the the weight at the ends are pretty much identical. I don't notice anything in the "B" that would add weight at the bow or stern.

I guess you're right about the extra windage caused by the raised deck, but maybe that would help make up for our shorter stick during a spinnaker run? :D

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hey don't shoot the messenger

You think my remarks were unkind? Then you don't even want to know
what my father thought about it. But then Ericson was always pulling
stuff like that. A favorite move was chopping the back 4 feet or so
off an existing hull, slapping on a new transom and presto chango
a new model is born! I'm not bashing your boat, just giving you a
little history on it. Sorry your ego got bruised.

Martin

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I can only imagine...

I'm dying of laughter with Martin's story about Ericson hijacking the plans and doing a presto change-oh. I can only imagine how upset I'd be if I had spent all this time researching and designing the most effective boats I could- Only to have the company pull a fast one..

bewitched.jpg

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not a rare thing

The 30-II begat the 30+, who lost it's ass and became a 28+, which became the 28. That was good mileage out a design expense!!:rolleyes:

Of course, it was never really THAT simple, but suffice to say that E-management was good at getting the most from each set of tooling!

Of course, the master of this is the legendary Tom Schock-they have buried and dug up for another version more designs than many other builders ever had to begin with!

Examples of the "walking dead": Schock 35 new version, which came from the old Schock 35 OD, which came from the Santana 35. The Schock 23-2, which was born as the Santana 23, and was discontinued and dug back up as a "new model" at least 3 times in between-different interiors, keels/centerboards/daggerboards, rigs (MH and Fract).

Get the idea?:devil: