• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Naming Conventions

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I'm certain this information lives somewhere on this site but I have never seen a definitive answer. So here is my question... I have a 1990 Ericson 28. I have seen references to a 28-2 but also a 28 for vessels constructed from1986 on. The manual that I have refers to the boat as a 28... so what is the "-2"? I understand that the "+" boats were constructed before 1986 but I could be mistaken. Definitive answers or other perspectives appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Ref: https://sailboatdata.com/builder/ericson-yachts-usa

My understanding...
The "-2" "-3" "+" typically are different hulls that have the same nominal length. There are also three digit extensions, e.g. "-200" "-300" that are the same hull but with a different interior layout. For instance, the 32-2 is a different hull than the 32-3, but the 32-200 is the same hull as the 32-3 but with a different layout (aft cabin vs. quarterberth).

In your case, the saiboatdata shows hull dimensions of "28.00 ft" for the 28-2 but "28.50 ft" for the 28+.