• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson RH 36 (22 year) project for sale

rgraham

Member II
I've run out of steam after 22 years of owning this sailboat. I've done all of the hard work if someone is looking to go on a sailing adventure...
1) Peeled and re-fiber glassed the hull using West System and vacuum bagged it using 2 layers of biaxial glass.
2) Faired the entire hull with epoxy fairing compound and finish with 2 layers of epoxy barrier coat. (was told by a professional boat painter that it was one of the finest jobs he had ever seen).
3) Rebuilt rudder with additional steel in the internal frame and new foam core.
4) Installed Jefa rudder bearings (top and bottom) with new rudder tube and additional re-enforcement using fiberglass 1/2 inch board and west system.
5) Repowered with a Yanmar GM30F low hour engine (~200 hour).
6) All new thru hulls and sea cocks with 1/2 inch fiber glass backing plates (bolted).
7) All woodwork has been rebuilt in the interior that needed it including new 3/4 inch teak and holly plywood floor with hatches to most of the bilge.
8) Installed Vacuum insulated ice box lid and stainless-steel countertop.
9) Installed Victron Inverter/Charger.
11) Fiber glassed in wood backing and fitted all main cabin and Vee berth wood ceiling base panels.
12) Replaced the acrylic hatch glass with polycarbonate.
13) Replaced acrylic port glass with safety glass.
14) Installed new holding tank and waste lines.
15) Had hull painted with Awl Grip.
16) Installed custom 2 inch teak rub rails.
17) Had new foam cushions made for interior (main cabin, vee berth, and quarter berth).
18) Custom stern railing with built in seats (still have originals).
19) Built a custom fuel filter sliding holder so they can easily be changed.
20) Custom access door for sink cabinet.

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting. I was outfitting this boat to go off on an extended sailing adventure. I have a ton of stuff I'll throw in with it. Currently the mast is off the boat and needs to be painted. There is still stuff that needs finishing. The boat is near Huntsville Alabama. I know even in pristine condition that this boat will not sell for anything close to its replacement cost. Make me an offer after seeing the boat.

For someone that wants to truly go on a sailing adventure or doesn't want to have to do all this to another boat, this boat has had all of the hard stuff done.

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• fuelfilters.jpg
    fuelfilters.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 58
  • RudderBottom.jpg
    RudderBottom.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 55
  • RudderTop.jpg
    RudderTop.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 58
  • SinkAccess.jpg
    SinkAccess.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 56
  • stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 58
  • TeakHolleySole.jpg
    TeakHolleySole.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 63
  • ThruHulls.jpg
    ThruHulls.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Victron.jpg
    Victron.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Yanmar.jpg
    Yanmar.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

rgraham

Member II
More Pics
Above I meant to say peeled, re-glassed, and faired the bottom not the entire hull.

Attachments

• OnLift.jpg
    OnLift.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Painted.jpg
    Painted.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
More Pics
Above I meant to say peeled, re-glassed, and faired the bottom not the entire hull.
Robert,
It sounds like you have done a ton of work on this boat! I am sorry to hear that you have run out of steam and won't be able to enjoy sailing her as you intended. I wish I lived closer to be able to consider carrying on your work, but I'm too far away and getting older, so that's not an option. But someone will be lucky to buy her, if you do actually decide to sell. Good luck!
Frank

rgraham

Member II
Robert,
It sounds like you have done a ton of work on this boat! I am sorry to hear that you have run out of steam and won't be able to enjoy sailing her as you intended. I wish I lived closer to be able to consider carrying on your work, but I'm too far away and getting older, so that's not an option. But someone will be lucky to buy her, if you do actually decide to sell. Good luck!
Frank
I hear you. It wasn't till today when I was creating this ad that I realized how much I have done to this boat, and it still looks like a project. I'm soon to be 63 and I just don't know if I have it in me to continue. Had high hopes of visiting the Islands over the years but age and dealing with depression have taken their toll.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I hear you. It wasn't till today when I was creating this ad that I realized how much I have done to this boat, and it still looks like a project. I'm soon to be 63 and I just don't know if I have it in me to continue. Had high hopes of visiting the Islands over the years but age and dealing with depression have taken their toll.
Robert,
While clearly your decision, age 63 isn't necessarily a problem (I'm 71, do most of my own maintenance on our boat and still hope to sail for a number of years). If you are currently suffering with depression, as you mention above, that may not be the best time to make this important decision, as your outlook might change if your symptoms subside a bit with professional treatment or other strategies.

Have you considered other strategies for finishing the required work on your boat--hiring more professionals, selling a share in the boat to a skilled worker/sailor who could help, enlisting help from friends/sailors, etc.

Maybe selling this boat is the right decision for you, but after 22 years of hard work, it would be a pity to sell prematurely.

Frank

dcoyle

Member III
The 36 is a great boat, sails like a dream and is really fast!! With all the work you have done she is going to be awesome!! Dont give her away. I have the RH33 1982 and there is a 36 here same vintage that always beats me, even with my favorable rating. Im hoping you are able to sell her at a good price or find the inspiration to continue your restoration. You will be very pleased with her once she is in the water.

saphira36

Member II
Sorry to see you throwing in the towel but is what it is. I've got hull #22 and absolutely love it but will admit it's a real struggle. I've got many things but oh so many more to do! Some are needs some are wants. ;-)

I'm curious what hull number yours is.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Robert, Can't help but think that a sail on someones E36RH would be a big boost! I like working on my boat, but not as much as sailing it. Maybe a trip out to one of the members boats would be inspiring and a lot of fun. Sailing, and sailing with friends is great therapy!