• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Erred in an on-sale Raymarine chartplotter combo purchase

1911tex

Sustaining Member
It's a Raymarine Element 9HV chartplotter combo with free HV-100 transom-mount transducer and USA lakes, coastal Navionics package.

I called Raymarine technical support to get their suggestion on a mounting medium for this transducer for an in-hull application, as transom mount is impossible on my E-35.

The tech said very very bad choice, never get an in-hull transducer as it will never provide maximum advantage of 50% of the applications of the unit purchased and 100% of the 3D this unit offers..needs at least a 200 kilohertz thru-hull transponder to take advantage of all the included applications and lucky to read a 25-30 foot depth with this transducer..should have the Axiom 9RV package with through hull transducer, which is $400 more expensive.....

The tech firmly stated that the transom mount HV-100 will not work in an in-hull application, period and there is not a 200 Kilohertz transducer for the 9HV.

They also said explicitly...never, ever mount an in-hull with silicon..ever! If anything use 2-part epoxy, mineral oil or antifreeze, but still will not allow 50% advantages of this unit.

Look like I fouled up on this one...going to return it.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Follow up...did some investigation on my own (Google) and found out that the tech folks at Raymarine need some extra training. There is a 200 kilohertz "in-hull" transducer (part #1968965) available that specifically fits the Element 9HV perfectly; allowing all the applications including 3D and depth to 1500' (of course, the channel depth at our lake is only 90-180')...I confirmed all with West Marine, they had one in stock with a 30' cord ! It's on the way!!!!!

fool

Member III
My experience with Raymarine technical support has been far, far, less than stellar. If good support and sound technical advice is what you value I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Ref: Post #2 above...This is old news to most of you, but for me and maybe other first timers, its great info for installing this referenced (or any similar) in-hull transducer:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
In Raymarine's defense try calling Garmin. :rolleyes:
I flew Garmin avionics for decades...yes, I agree; however there are many first class local airport avionics shops from coast to coast, border to border that support Garmin products (as well as other avionics manufacturers) and most really have a through understanding and very professional...$$$$ ! But as far as calling Garmin direct....right on!

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Idk. I have a new Garmin 942xs that won't send automatic route guidance to my Raymarine below deck pilot over nmea 2000. However it will send the commands over 0183. According to Garmin it will send nmea 2000 auto guidance to Garmin autopilots. Very misleading because they advertise the unit to work with third party pilots! Ohh and it drops satellite signal and sometimes takes 15 min+ to figure your location and speed. Thank god I wired my AIS to the Garmin and was able to use its gps position. Also the autoguidance couldn't figure out a 60 mile trip down the Hudson river whereas Navionics does it with ease!

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
I have a new Garmin 942xs that won't send automatic route guidance to my Raymarine below deck pilot over nmea 2000.
Trying not to hijack the thread, but....

I have a Garmin 942xs and a Raymarine EV-100 wheel autopilot connected via NMEA 2000. No NMEA 0183 wiring. The autopilot uses a Raymarine P70s control head and a ACU-100 Actuator Control Unit.

There were times when I would try to switch to Track mode, and the autopilot control head would complain “No navigation data”. Other times it would work.

I think that switching from Auto mode to Track mode gives this error, but switching from Standby to Track mode does work. I have not seen the “No navigation data” since the autopilot trained me to be in Standby mode before switching to Track mode.

David Grimm

E38-200
Hey thanks mbp, I'll try that method. The last time I called Garmin tech the only wisdom offered was that the tech worked for Garmin not Raymarine!

David Grimm

E38-200
Hey mbp, thanks for the advice. I even tried saving the auto guidance and recalling it. Still wouldn't let the Raymarine pilot track it. Apparently Garmin doesn't feel their auto guidance is safe! So they'll only let their autopilot track it. Somehow I no longer feel bad about them being hijacked 10mil. Now we're in the same boat!

David Grimm

E38-200
The FIX! Somewhere I read that the "Actisense.com" made an 0183 reader that would allow the Raymarine autopilot to receive the Garmin automatic route guidance. It takes the Garmin 0183 output and spits it out nmea 2000 into the seatalkNG network. Works perfectly right out of the box! You will also need the Garmin nema 2000 hookup on the buss as well to receive temp, depth, wind ect. Now that everything is working well I am afraid to update the Garmin to the latest software.

Teranodon

Member III
In Raymarine's defense try calling Garmin. :rolleyes:
I have both Raymarine and Garmin gear on my E34. I had to fiddle with the connectors to make them talk to each other. Concerning customer service, Raymarine has a good forum. For example, I am about to add a rudder position sensor to my EV-100, and there is good technical info on the forum about how to do it. I have had good experiences with Garmin technical support, on about four occasions. One thing I like is that they don't make you wait on hold, but take your number and call you back. The technicians are ok. Once, a guy gave me bad advice. When I called later to complain, they went back to listen to the recording (!!!!) and gave me satisfaction. So I'm not as down on them as some people here. We shall see what happens next year, when I hope to add a Fantom radar to the 942xs...