• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Espar Furnace Installation

Dave Hussey

Member III
Winter sailing is comming on fast and I still havent installed my furnace. Has anybody with a E27 or E29 installed an Espar, or similar furnace? I have some ideas on where to put the furnace, and the controller, and route the ducts, and such, but I'd really like to hear how others have done it, and what their installation pros and cons are. What worked out well? What would you have done differently?

How did you route the exhaust and combustion air through hulls and plumbing so to avoid the problem of rain or wake getting into them?

What is the best location for the thermostat?

Where did you locate the heat ducts?

Pictures would be so appreciated!!!
Dave Hussey
E27 BlueWing

Captron

Member III
Espar

Hi,

Kismet had an Espar installed when we bought it but since we're Florida/Bahamas sailors, we took it out ... worked good though. Ours ran off the main fuel tank and through a rather large Racor filter ... it was a major issue getting fuel up to the heater after changing filters ... many cycles of the little fuel pump ... it had to lift fuel about 1.5 feet but it only pumps a trickle.

Our unit was mounted in the engine space on the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the quarter berth, behind the engine. The insulated exhaust pipe ran aft (about 8 or 9 feet) through the transom. The exhaust pipe had a cap on it so it could be closed off when not in use. The pipe exited the transom in the upper port corner via a double walled through-hull fitting made for the purpose. (I might still have that fitting around someplace, heater was sold long ago). I never ran it in the rain though and it would have been a water trap.

We had no ducting run on our E38. The only duct came off the front of the Espar (3 inch metal dryer vent type hose). To heat the cabin we opened the top engine hatch cover and pulled the hose up a bit ... the end was hanging from bailing wire just above the engine. The hose blew hot air into the cabin between the companionway ladder steps.

We only used it about 3 or 4 times and that was on our delivery trip from Annapolis to Florida in October/November. It worked swell every time. It would heat the main cabin from 45 degrees to 75 in about 15 minutes. It blasted more hot air into the cabin than a dryer exhaust vent would. I don't recall which model we had but it looked similar to a D3 unit ... I think it was rated at about 8000 btu but it was more than enough heater for the 38.

If I lived in a cold climate, I would put a duct that exited into the cockpit. Under the dodger and bimini, I'll bet it would be toasty. Where we live it would be better to have an AC vent in the cockpit.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Capt Ron, thanks for the reply. Yes, I too was thinking of putting a vent into the cockpit for a little heat out there ! A dodger is on my wish list. Once I have that, and the furnace installed, I'll be all set. I am thinking of running three ducts...one into the head, one forward aimed aft, and one which will aim into the cockpit. My kit came with a booster pump to keep the fuel line full up to the 'sipper' pump which as you said doesn't pump much volume. I'm concerned about the lack of room for routing an exhaust pipe, and still have adequate hi-rise to keep water out. I guess the same goes for the intake pipe. The E27 is a small boat.
Dave H

Dave Hussey

Member III
furnace exhaust location dilemma

Another dilemma:
where is the best place on a small sailboat (E27) to install the stainless exhaust through-hull for the Espar furnace?

It has to be high enough so water can't enter when heeled over, yet low enough to put an upward bend in the exhaust header pipe.

This requires cutting a two inch diameter hole in my boat,:boohoo: and I want to make absolutely sure of the exact spot. :confused:

I have searched this site and the web for pictures of other people's installations, but haven't had any luck.

Can any of you offer up suggestions, or better yet, pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Dave H

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dave,
most sailboats, expecially smaller ones, put the furnace exhaust on the upper part of the transom. Least chance of ingesting water.
Loren

Dave Hussey

Member III
Loren, does that mean there is no swoop up in the exhaust flex pipe (I dont know the proper name for it, but the purpose is to ensure any water ingress has to go up hill, so it drains readily).
Could I 'T' into my diesel auxilliaries exhaust?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Exhaust loop configuration

My Espar exhaust is near the top of the hull under the rail, and just forward of the transom. It is low enough to allow a loop above the muffler as you see in the first picture.

The exhaust pipe also has a low point with a drain (second picture). The drain is that copper pigtail tube. I assume this is primarily for condensation in the exhaust, not to drain water coming from the outside. Both of these pictures are in the aft lazarette, which is pretty spacious.

Note that this is a Hydronic unit, not a forced air type, but the exhaust configurations should be applicable. This is also a bigger boat (E38), so this is just to show the techniques my installer used - this was professionally done by a yacht outfitter.

We have yet to test this exhaust location in really nasty wind/wave conditions or on a long sail at speed. It is hard to tell from the third picture how high the drain is above the water, but it appears adequate. The distance from the bottom of the rail is about 7-8 inches, just eye-balling it.

An Espar dealer or installer might be able to give you some advice, too.

Attachments

• EsparCoolantExpansionCopy.jpg
    EsparCoolantExpansionCopy.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 115
  • EsparHydronic5HeaterExCopy.jpg
    EsparHydronic5HeaterExCopy.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 119
  • EsparExhaustRhSternCopy.jpg
    EsparExhaustRhSternCopy.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 107

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks for posting your pictures Craig. I had not considered putting the exhaust in the side of the hull...any problem when tied up at the dock?
Dave

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Docks & dock lines

Not really a problem at all. Even when we hitch the stern in a little tight to aid in boarding at the gate, we haven't seen any dangerous situations due to the exhaust. The exhaust pipe on our boat is fairly long and the muffler probably helps cool and slow the flow some. The exhaust flow is fairly low speed anyway, so it doesn't carry very far. The external fitting surface does get hot, though.

We've only had it for about a year, so we haven't been in too many 'situations' yet. Again, get some professional advice if you can. Mechanically. it's all pretty straight forward, once you figure out what the recommended clearances are.

Espar has downloadable installation manuals, too.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Judging by comparison, I think my E27 transom has about the same angle of flare, or overhang, as does the side of your boat at your furnace exhaust. This gives me confidence that I should be OK installing mine at the transom about the same distance down from the rubrail as yours is. And, I think it should be high enough there to avoid any following sea ingress, and still have room for a bend 'up' to aid in drainage.
Thanks !:egrin:
Dave H

hodo

Member III
Hi Dave, when I installed the Espar on my 30+, I put it up under the combing just aft of the sheet winch, on the port side. I routed the duct under the icebox, on the port side, and ended the duct under the galley. I would open the flop-down door, and pull it out, and we had great heat. Be advised that the Espar really likes to run on kerosene. After 7 years of use, we had no issues. Diesel is not as well refined, and will cause you to need to service thethe glow plug about once a year or so, depending on useage. I liked it so well, I put one on Mischief Maker, our e 38. Talk to Jeff at Boat Electric, he is a great help. Also, they have a boat show special every year. My only connection with Boat Electric is their great willingness to advise. If you want to see the 30+ install, I can get you acess. good luck, Harold, Mischief :devil: Maker. You can E mail me if you like.

Dave Hussey

Member III
I've had an epiphany !!!!!!
The last time I was visiting my E27, lovingly following her suttle curves with adoring eyes...>sorry<.... I thought, why can't I install my Espar in the void at the transom, between the benches?! It looks to me like the perfect spot...easy routing of all the sundry hoses, and ducts with ample space, and complete accessability...A neat and Bristoll cover would need to be manufactured to keep thieves and weather at bay, but that could be accomplished well enough.

Would anyone please offer their thoughts on this location? Am I going to be opening Pandorahs box?

Attachments

• IMGP0012.jpg
    IMGP0012.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 249

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time for some updates...

Now that I am sneaking up on my own furnace install...
Dave, how did your project turn out?

And Craig, did you ask for the muffler addition or did the shop advise you to add it? (Some of these I have been around on other boats are kinda noisy to passers-by.) Also, your installation does not show any heat insulation around the exhaust piping -- any particular reason why or why not?

Thanks much,

Loren

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Loren.

The muffler cost about $100 installed, iirc. After testing with the plain exhaust pipe, the installer and I agreed that the result was too noisy. So I had them add it - we had the room. The results have been great.

I am not sure if the insulation was forgotten or what.

Can't wait to see how you end up doing yours.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hi Loren,
wow, how fortuitous to see your message! I was idly surfing the web site, and walla ! (I used to receive notification if a new reply was posted...I guess that feature isnt working, or I have to do something to re-activate that feature)
My furnace is still not installed, and here it is October 1st , 2009 !!! however most of the engineering has been figured out. I have installed my control panel in the aft cubby space on the starboard side using a piece of marine plywood saturated in epoxy and SS "T" nuts embedded on the backside, and glued to the fiberglass structure with 5200. The furnace will be installed as I described in my previous message, and a FRP cover will be fabricated to protect it. I have purchased the materials, made the plug, and simply awaiting free time. The exhaust will exit about 7 inches below the gunwhale on the starboard side of the transom, wherever there is adequate clearance from the ladder. Ducting will be minimal at first, just to see how the heat moves in the salon. The previous owner had installed a register in the bulkhead near the sole of the cabin already, so I'll use that, and progress from there as needed. I have some pictures of these baby steps which I will uplink if interested.
Dave

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pictures!

Hi Loren,
wow, how fortuitous to see your message! I was idly surfing the web site, and walla ! (I used to receive notification if a new reply was posted...I guess that feature isnt working, or I have to do something to re-activate that feature)
My furnace is still not installed, and here it is October 1st , 2009 !!! however most of the engineering has been figured out. I have installed my control panel in the aft cubby space on the starboard side using a piece of marine plywood saturated in epoxy and SS "T" nuts embedded on the backside, and glued to the fiberglass structure with 5200. The furnace will be installed as I described in my previous message, and a FRP cover will be fabricated to protect it. I have purchased the materials, made the plug, and simply awaiting free time. The exhaust will exit about 7 inches below the gunwhale on the starboard side of the transom, wherever there is adequate clearance from the ladder. Ducting will be minimal at first, just to see how the heat moves in the salon. The previous owner had installed a register in the bulkhead near the sole of the cabin already, so I'll use that, and progress from there as needed. I have some pictures of these baby steps which I will uplink if interested.
Dave

Go ahead and post some photos... There may be quite a few other Ericson 27's out there somewhere that would be interested...

Regards,
Loren

Dave Hussey

Member III
My furnace is installed, and it turned out much better than I'd hoped. Here are some pictures of how I made a cover for the furnace, which is mounted in the transom 'well'
l'. 454.jpg449.jpg450.jpg453.jpgIMGP0444.jpg

Last edited: