• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

EY.c Future: Is EY.c a 'useful' site? How could we improve it?

Is EY.c a 'useful' site? Have you found it 'useful'?

• (2) Is not useful; I really cannot find anything of use on this site.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
When I created this site, I did so from a need that I felt the Ericson Community had: to have a single repository of information that was useful for the existing community - but also for prospective owners.

That was four years ago. Now, there is a considerable amount of information on this site - and more can be gathered. What I need to know from you (the user) is this:

Is this site useful for you?
If it is - or if it is not - please use this thread to discuss what it's shortcomings are, and what you feel could be done to improve it. Please try not to stray into issues of cost, dues, fees, etc - as that is covered in another thread.

//sse

bbboat

Member II
Suggestions for improvement

Being a fairly new Ericson owner (and coming from a Catalina where the online owner support is strong), I find the Ericson site very useful. Some minor suggestions/questions for improving, though:
- In the classifieds section, I'd break it down into separate boards for boats wanted/for sale and gear wanted/for sale.
- In the gear wanted/for sale, I'd break it down further by size or model, or at least size groupings (27-32, 35-39, 40+ etc.). It's really hard to filter through the stuff for a 27-foot boat when you have a 39, and vice-versa).
- Can we provide a template for boat owners involved in projects who'd like to post their photos & text of what they've done to their boat, but don't have the time/skills to create their own website? (BTW, Sean, I'd be happy to discust helping you out with this).

neilio

Useful

When I purchased my 1967 E26 a few years ago, I found the site very useful. Unfortunately for me, I have spent the past two summers in the boat yard, replacing the engine (almost made it in this year). Not having used the site much lately, I have no specific ideas for improvement.

Stuart

Member II
Web site

I have used this site to organize events like the Ericson rendezvous, and also to obtain information about ericson's. To have it as is is good but to also open up to email discussion like sailnet would bring all to one site? maybe.
Spill check whan writing a thread would be noice.
Great site with lots of info overall, worth keeping and I would support.
Cheers
Stuart MacKenzie
Vancouver BC
E31-Independence

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am not sure how a "template" would work, but the concept sure is appealing.
I have stuff on several forums that should really be pulled together into one article with pictures. I would then edit my prior text, and it cerainly needs editing! :rolleyes:

In my mind's eye, we could re-edit related project responses and photos once a year or so and put the result into the "Projects" forum. Kind of like a FAQ with photos...
Ya think?

A good article model would be Sean's head/shower rebuild article. I need to compile something like this for my thruhull project and refrigeration addition. I wonder if someone could take finished text and photos and put them together as a web page? Nowadays, with the ease of putting text and pics into one page like I do with Appleworks, producing a finished PDF is as simple as clicking on "save as"....
How to get from this to HTML is beyond my present knowledge....

Having taken one all-day class in HTML some years ago, I decided that learning a new "language" was not high on my priority list in my seventh decade. :eek:

This is already an interesting discussion. I hope that lots of owners have contributions.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

ps: owners of older Ericsons should get WEFCO to subsidize this site... (Just kidding!)
:)

Last edited:

rssailor

I really love the web site and look forward to seeing what projects fellow ericson owners are working. As well I enjoy contributing to helping fellow ericson owners with problems on their boats and getting advice occasionally from the experts.
I would be willing to pay a nominal yearly fee to be a member here, but would like to know what kind of costs maintaining this entails and hope this could be used as a basis for determining what each member needs to kick in yearly. We need to keep this site up and running for all ericson owners to use and enjoy. Ryan Ericson 25+ Moonglow

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What ever else it takes, count me in!

First and foremost I would like to thank Sean for dipping into his own pocket to get the site back up and running. I contacted Sean after I couldn't log on for a week and he had the site back up in less than 12 hours. This man needs a break. Great Job Sean! I agree with all the other responses I have read regarding Sean's suggestions. I have no problem paying a annual fee. I as well have used this site for announcements for rendezvous but more importantly it has been a invaluable resource in the restoration of my 32 year old E-27! I love this site and have it set for my home page for both my home and office computers.

I have already pledged and sent a nominal contribution to Sean. What ever else it takes, count me in! Ericson's ROCK!

Jefferson Asbury
Skipper of the "Pride of Cucamonga"
E-27 Hull #355
San Pedro, CA :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
EY.c is an excellent resource - one I have taken advantage of on many occassions. I think the users are the ones who make this kind of site useful, and we've got one of the most dedicated groups of people using the site of any group I've had the pleasure to interact with. I'm all for moving forward with adding or changing features available to users, and would be willing to support it financially, as long as the hit was reasonable.

dboggs

This is a wonderful site. I am relatively new to sailing and have found this site to be a wonderful resource for projects on my E-32. I have just looked in on the site for the past year or so, never becoming a member. After the site went down I realized how much I actually used it. I just want to thank Sean for keeping it up. I pledged money to Sean for the site and would be willing to pay an annual fee to keep it up.

Dave
E 32-2
Carpe Diem
:egrin:

ccorcoran

Member II
It's saved my boat more than a few times!

I love the website; it's user friendly and contains - virtually - the sum total of collective wisom regarding Ericson yachts. I've been able to save time, effort and $$ on a host of projects by simply tapping this collective wisdom. There are great owners out there and they're all willing to help other owners save time, $$ and often, bodily injury.

I wish we could do more with "how to" articles without requiring Sean to manage it all. I can think of a dozen or more articles that would be great to see -- if only us worker bees could figure out how to easily put words and photos together (although, I suppose that leads to the need for an editorial board unless we want to bury Sean with even more work; perhaps we could ask the moderators to help out with that?).

In any case, the forums are great and they work; not too segmented - in fact, I often browse all the forums just to see what's happening around the country and I rather enjoy the diversity of boats and things in the for sale forum; you never know what gem you'll discover!

Remeber the old addage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
It is hard to think how to improve the site, as Sean did a great job in the beginning, but a couple of suggestions:

More links to weather sites. I like www.nws.noaa.gov as a good source, but maybe some folk with a lot of time in small craft can recommend other sources of weather, or information they have found useful underway.

A section about cruising with an Ericson, since some people have gone far afield, and that information does not get put around much.

Easier access to creating files about projects with photos. I hope to put a bunch of pictures on the site of my rebuild, as for example, there is currently no information about working on hull/deck joints. I would hate to dump all that work on Sean.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Saunders

Future of the site

Any chance that e-mail (as in Sailnet) list could be added? I have seen much activity with the constant flow of e-mail (until recently) and am thinking that may foster activity and interest in this site- particularly since it seems likely that Sailnet will not remain the same-

Second change might be links to Resources- the archives are full of valuable resources and the members will continue to be. If there were recommended resources ( ala Practical Sailor Where credit is Due, that would be useful. Perhaps even a section not for How to Maintenance- but From Whom...

In reply to the various polls- I am in - will pay for the existing or for an upgraded. No strong feelings about level of participation- Think that will depend on how many players- I would figure out what it would cost, figure conservatively that half of those who have sent contributions will be in for the long haul and set the fee accordingly. If surplus is amassed, think about improvements or an occasional perk for those of you who carry the laboring oar. If fees are not sufficient, at least let those who are willing to contribute have accdess to the archives.

In any event, thanks Sean, Loren and all others who have contributed so freely.

P.S. My check went our yesterday
Saunders
Music

Mindscape

Member III
First - as has already been said - thanks to Sean for all his efforts.
I'd like to be able to group/sort existing threads by boat, so that I could find all the stuff about 32-3's for example.
The search could allow for posts within the last x number of days.
An email notification when anything new is posted, not just for those threads you are involved in.
This stuff is minor, the most important thing is to keep and attract good people. I don't feel like I've got much to contribute since I'm a new owner and have not undertaken any major projects, but people like Sean, Geoff, Lorren, Seth, etc. seem to have lots of good stuff (and plenty of opinions!) that keeps a site like this valuable.

I'm in for whatever it takes to keep this going. It's the best resource for Ericson owners that I'm aware of.

It's interesting the Pacific Seacraft does not see us as valuable enough to invest. I'm curious why they wouldn't keep this going, and use the site as a forum to try and get us to move so a PS boat next time we make a move.

Skip Jim

Member II
I have enjoyed this site on a daily basis. Not only have I learned a lot about my boat, but I have received great pleasure in having this as my home page.

Each day when this site comes up and I can look at a picture of a beautiful boat, it always is a welcome site. I can imagine being out sailing, or just being near my boat, even if just for a few seconds.

I think you have done a great job with this site. I would be willing to pay for the pleasure it gives me.

If you need other help, please ask, and keep up the great work

Ericson 35-2 hull # 203
San Diego

Last edited:

chrism

Inactive Member
I have the skills to help compile pages on this site, so if anyone has anything for the projects page, etc., I could be of help... With Sean's blessing, of course.

Chris

Ray Hughes

Member I
:egrin: EY.c is a valuable asset to all Ericson owners. The only thing I would change would be to separate boats for sale listings from gear and equipment listings. Kudos to Sean! --Ray Hughes, E-29 Capricious, Oceanside, CA.

bsange

Keep It Going

We purchased our 1983 E-28 three years ago. As a novice sailor this site proven to be a good reference point. I go along with everyone else and would be willing to pay an annual dues to keep it up and running. Bernard Sangenito, E-28 Andiamo.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Check the other thread...

Just as an FYI… Gene Kohlmann (President of PSC) has just replied to all the traffic on EY.c, in a post entitled “Why Should PSC Support EY.c?”.

Please post your reply to his message now, and let him know that there are many Ericson Owners concerned about this issue. Click here to open that thread directly:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1726

Thanks for your continued support!

//sse

Stuart

Member II
Is EY.c benificial to PSC

Gene, I hope you have the time to read this, I am sure we all look forward to mutual support.

Last year when I organized the Ericson Rendezvous, PSC gave us some prizes, ball caps, decals and Ericson stuff, it was murder to contact them, I finally gave up with email and phoned, once I made contact it was great, they were friendly, supportive and helpful.

I feel the EY.c site benefits PSC in many ways, some immeasurable. It does create a lot of good will between Ericson owners and PSC. I drool over their most beautiful boats on line when I visit to look up Ericson specs or brochures on the PSC site.
The EY.c site and continued Ericson support’s value to PSC will be dependent on how they use it, us, and how they treat us. If all the Ericson owners support PSC, that is a lot of goodwill, cheap!
PSC’s web knowledge shows up with their own site, I looked for dealers in my area, using their dealer search and got nothing, just a blank response. I then emailed a question on cost about a 31, 34 and 37; I have still not got a response. They maybe closed for holiday but one would think at least an automated answer or something. Maybe it was an oversite or maybe it’s a bigger thing. Not getting a prompt answer in todays world invites doubt.
It would be nice if an agreement could be made with Sean to maintain the EY.c site, if Sean is willing, a cost many of us would contribute to. They might even ask him to look at their own site.

The question I keep asking myself is why does PSC buy all things Ericson and then do nothing? Maybe Gene could shed some light on this.
It would be nice to see a new Ericson 33 introduced to take some of the market away from the Hunterbenilinias. With the great name Ericson has I am sure it would be a success, assuming the design was modern and not just re introducing an old boat with no new technology. I don’t think it would be hard to come up with some new design, stronger than current production boats but a costal sailor, not a blue water boat like the PSC. All of us happy Ericson owners would gladly give our input.

I might even consider becoming a dealer in BC, as we all know; PSC and Ericson……RULE THE OCEANS!

My. .02
Stuart MacKenzie
E-31 Independence
Comox BC

Last edited: