• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fall Sailing Cordial Glass Holder

kapnkd

kapnkd
When first moving to Michigan from Florida and before bringing my boat up, I sailed on a friends Ericson 27 in their club's end of season "Frost Bite Series".
Although lots of fun many boaters had already pulled because of the colder weather - (Other than the die-hard or naive ones like me.)

The one thing making it a GREAT DAY as we finished the race and headed back in was the Captain breaking out his traditional bottle of "Yukon Jack" to warm our hearts, souls and mind. It was pretty tasty and did in fact take the sting out of that oh so cold day. While I really don't race anymore, I do keep a bottle of Grand Marnier for those last few (not as cold) sails in the fall.

For my own warming traditional concoction, I purchased a nice set of acrylic cordial glasses from Amazon but needed something to keep them from magically coming to life and doing olympic gymnastics from the shelf to the cabin sole every time the boat heeled even a little.

Using remaining pieces of Teak from our total refit, I fashioned a "Cordial Tray" to hold the glasses and also be used a serving tray. We then added some custom vinyl graphics as well to personalize it. ...I still do have the plans I created should anyone want and can easily create a pdf of them - if interested??

Cordial Tray.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
That looks lovely, and Grand Marnier, Drambui, Southern Comfort or nice Rum all work well! :)
Frank

Attachments

• 20210930_112824.jpg
    20210930_112824.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 7

peaman

Sustaining Member
Very nice. Reminds me of frigid days of frostbite sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, on a boat called "KnotBobs", which had a tradition of making a big batch of hot chocolate, served in paper cups, each with a dose of peppermint schnapps. After the race was finished, as we all headed back to the docks, KnotBobs would intercept as many of the other racers as possible to hand off "Peppermint Patties" for everyone on board.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Looks like a nice heirloom piece for a cool crew tradition.

However, 1) my crew is more likely to want a dog biscuit and 2) It looks so much like one of the dozens of test tube racks I have in the lab, that I'd probably just grab one of those and try to convince people that drinking shots out of test tubes is an ancient nautical tradition. ;)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Looks like a nice heirloom piece for a cool crew tradition.

However, 1) my crew is more likely to want a dog biscuit and 2) It looks so much like one of the dozens of test tube racks I have in the lab, that I'd probably just grab one of those and try to convince people that drinking shots out of test tubes is an ancient nautical tradition. ;)

Too funny!!!! ;-))) “Test Tube Brews”!!! Interesting concoction possibilities!!!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I probably shouldn’t confess just how much of a nerd I am, but back at college keggers, our set always drank beer from 400 ml laboratory beakers. And of course, as Halloween approached, there was always plenty of dry ice fuming in the punch bowl. Then one year, the department surplus sale unloaded a lot of antique conical pharmaceutical graduated cylinders, which make excellent Frankensteinesque wine glasses. I still have a few of the 125 ml ones, which make great heavy-duty champagne flutes. Just don’t get dry ice on your lips.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
When first moving to Michigan from Florida and before bringing my boat up, I sailed on a friends Ericson 27 in their club's end of season "Frost Bite Series".
Although lots of fun many boaters had already pulled because of the colder weather - (Other than the die-hard or naive ones like me.)

The one thing making it a GREAT DAY as we finished the race and headed back in was the Captain breaking out his traditional bottle of "Yukon Jack" to warm our hearts, souls and mind. It was pretty tasty and did in fact take the sting out of that oh so cold day. While I really don't race anymore, I do keep a bottle of Grand Marnier for those last few (not as cold) sails in the fall.

For my own warming traditional concoction, I purchased a nice set of acrylic cordial glasses from Amazon but needed something to keep them from magically coming to life and doing olympic gymnastics from the shelf to the cabin sole every time the boat heeled even a little.

Using remaining pieces of Teak from our total refit, I fashioned a "Cordial Tray" to hold the glasses and also be used a serving tray. We then added some custom vinyl graphics as well to personalize it. ...I still do have the plans I created should anyone want and can easily create a pdf of them - if interested??

View attachment 40463
If you could please send plans, thanks

kapnkd

kapnkd

Will do...I’ll need to add dimensions for you first, so it’ll be a couple of days. I’m also currently in the middle of pulling the engine out of my ‘67 classic car for a rebuild and am on a bit of a time crunch to get it out.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sorry for the delay Ralph! I needed to better dimension everything before sending it on to you.

The dimensions should be very very close - BUT - best first to get the glasses you will be using and then make your own adjustments accordingly to fit them all in. The height or distance between the top and bottom was adjusted somewhat when assembling to the correct fit of the slightly tapered glasses I used. (Again - do your own measurements as you build it)

This pdf file should hopefully be of help to you. If I can be of more help...don't hesitate to contact me. - kerry

Attachments

• Teak Cordial Rack.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 6