• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Feedback on Ericson 32-3 mast repair

Mjvaldez

Hello,

I'm seriously considering making an offer on a 1985 Ericson 32-3. My concern is that it appears to have some kind of mast repair. The work was done by a previous owner so I don't have more information than what's visible (pics below). There are two external plates riveted right above the deck on the fore and aft sides of the mast and then two brackets riveted below deck on the port and starboard sides. Any idea what this repair would be for? Owner believes it's corrosion repair but it seems odd that there would be corrosion at the deck on a keel stepped mast. Should I be concerned about strength or other performance characteristics?

Matt

P1070677.jpgP1070673.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Odd Repair, Indeed

I have never seen any repair just like that. A survey will help a lot, but I can see why you might be reluctant to put money into a survey.

The inside photo tells a story of water intrusion around the mast collar, as well. I notice what appears to be staples or seizings every so many inches holding the headliner together where the zipper pulls were eaten up by corrosion.

Strangely enough I did the exact (!) same "fix" for ours -- both sides, same seam -- in the late 90's. After some years of grimacing every time I looked at my poor work, I located some new zipper pulls @ 75 cents @ and laboriously threaded them on! The little puckers from my earlier ties are still faintly visible if one looks really hard....
(sigh)

Can the broker or the CA boat registration folks give you a contact with the owner?? This is a case where finding the name of the yard that did the work would help you better evaluate the boat a LOT.

Regards,
Loren

jsnaulty

Member II
dismasted

probably that boat was dismasted, mast broke at the deck. seen repairs like this before. repair probably stronger than original, if done right. ask a rigger to inspect. lowball price.

steve naulty
E35-3 'anodyne'
shadyside, MD