• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Finally Made the Move

erobitaille

Member II
Hello Chesapeake Bay Folks.

We finally made the move to Annapolis, :egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin:posted about a year ago we had planned to do it. After looking to sell Sapphire and Tonic and finding no takers in the market at all, we had her shipped to Ferry Point in April and the bottom line was we really could not part with our boat. We had Deep Water Transport out of Washington, NC do the move and she arrived with out a scratch.

Queston is I sailed the Chesapeake 27 years ago in a Tanzer 25 now that I have our E38 here what limitations am I looking at with the deep keel? Should I consider the keel mod? Or is it just not worth it?

Take care and glad to be back home.

Shadowfax

Member III
By deep keel I assume you mean 6 foot. You can pretty much sail the bay and it's rivers. The 6 foot keel will limit you getting into creeks and coves and make Knapps and Kent Narrows very interesting.

Depends on the type of sailing you contemplate. If racing is your thing you are fine. If it is gunkholing in a quiet little creek or cove, you will be somewhat limited in your choices and how far you can go into them. Marnias should not be a problem if you are a marina hopper.

Welcome back to the bay. Have FUN

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Ive been all over the bay from Havre De Grace to Hampton Roads on our deep draft E-38 6.5'. Yes you may bump bottom but the footprint is so small that you can always flip the helm and motor off. Try that with a wing keel... Rememeber charted depths are for MLW and while we dont get that much tide on the bay you can pretty much go anywhere the chart says you got at least 4-5 feet. Go slow on first attempts and you will find lots of places the charts say you should not be able to go. Hell where I keep my boat on duvall creek off the south river according to the chart I should not be able to get in to. Been to Tangier Island too plenty of water there. I like sailing too much to go chopping off the keel so I can anchor some place. OTOH if you do it right you can get the best of both worlds using Mars Keels with a properly designed bulb. Probably get it down to 5.5' and not change upwind performance too much. But its expensive. Welcome to the Bay! We'll keep any eye out for you and say Hi if you see Escape Plan.

erobitaille

Member II
Made the Move

Thanks guys,

That makes me feel better! Looks like we will not be able to gunk hole in some of the old places maybe just have to set the hook further out. I really don't think I want the hassle cutting a foot off the keel. I'll keep an eye out for other Ericson this summer althought it will be a week or two before we can sail agian. Our first sail out last weekend blew the seals on our Navtec backstay adjuster. Called Navtec no seal sets in stock and they did not know when they would get enough orders to make more:mad:SHEEES's.

Fortunalty Chesapeake Rigging had one set left in stock so it's in getting rebuilt. I geus that's not to bad for a 23 year old boat.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Try Annapolis Rigging for Navtec service too. Jay Herman the owner has a better supply and often is selling parts to Chesapeake.