• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"First Sails of the Season" video

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gosh and Golly, I wish I could take and edit video like you guys! Last night I had the first sail of this season on our own boat. Wind was 8 to 11 kts, with temps in the 70's. Almost ideal, altho another 4kts of TW would have been better. A good friend was along and his help was really appreciated. We enjoy a number of "labor saving" ideas for sailing, these days-- like the blade jib, the "lazy cradle" mainsail system, and equally important is having fixed fenders attached to our dock and having 'permanent' dock lines to drop into place.
Nothing broke or jammed, altho we seem to have misplaced one instrument face cover. (edit: found the instrument cover...)

Last week I was part of the 5 crew for a Fun Sail on another friends 35 footer, for the second time in a couple of weeks. His boat came with a furling main. It *does* make sailing easier, with the flip side of having little shape and visibly-diminished area. The satisfaction of being under sail is still very real, tho. My peer (pier?) group is mostly in their 70's, like me, so just getting out on the water is very satisfying.
Like taking my daily walks with the group, it's healthy to combine some exercise and social time.
:D

Last edited:

TKBLACK

Member II
Gosh and Golly, I wish I could take and edit video like you guys! Last night I had the first sail of this season on our own boat. Wind was 8 to 11 kts, with temps in the 70's. Almost ideal, altho another 4kts of TW would have been betterl. A good friend was along and his help was really appreciated. We enjoy a number of "labor saving" ideas for sailing, these days-- like the blade jib, the "lazy cradle" mainsail system, and equally important is having fixed fenders attached to our dock and having 'permanent' dock lines to drop into place.
Nothing broke or jammed, altho we seem to have misplaced one instrument face cover. Drat.

Last week I was part of the 5 crew for a Fun Sail on another friends 35 footer, for the second time in a couple of weeks. His boat came with a furling main. It *does* make sailing easier, with the flip side of having little shape and visibly-diminished area. The satisfaction of being under sail is still very real, tho. My peer (pier?) group is mostly in their 70's, like me, so just getting out on the water is very satisfying.
Like taking my daily walks with the group, it's healthy to combine some exercise and social time.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Gosh and Golly, I wish I could take and edit video like you guys! Last night I had the first sail of this season on our own boat. Wind was 8 to 11 kts, with temps in the 70's. Almost ideal, altho another 4kts of TW would have been better. A good friend was along and his help was really appreciated. We enjoy a number of "labor saving" ideas for sailing, these days-- like the blade jib, the "lazy cradle" mainsail system, and equally important is having fixed fenders attached to our dock and having 'permanent' dock lines to drop into place.
Nothing broke or jammed, altho we seem to have misplaced one instrument face cover. Drat.

Loren, Don't beat yourself up about taking and editing video. I happen to be a commercial (stills) photographer with about 47 years of experience and a good working knowledge of Adobe computer software. I'm a still photographer but never did video as a pro so this is still a learning process for me and I do it for the same reason I sail. It's fun! Glad you liked it.