• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First time spin-on fuel filter change....

1911tex

Sustaining Member
New to me '85 E35 w/5421 M25 engine. I have been told to bleed the air out of the fuel filter with a new spin-on filter. How do I do that and where do I bleed the fuel? Picture of bleed valve? Thanks folks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might be similar to our M25XP.
With the key on to activate the 'Facet" electric lift pump, I could hear the soft clicking of the lift pump holding pressure, and then open the knurled little valve knob right by the high pressure pump, and this would let fuel fill up the system/filter housings to that point and be routed back to the tank.
After a minute, close that valve and the clicking of the pump almost stops.
Only unpleasant part is also listening to the irritating buzz of the 'low oil pressure' alarm, since the engine is not operating even tho the key is 'on'..

At that point, go ahead and glow plug for ten seconds and hit starter button. Should run fine. Usually, unless there is still some air in the line......

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: I hate being so non-educated with this engine...where is the high pressure located and what does it look like?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you follow the little fuel line from the spin-on filter, it goes to a fitting on a cast housing that (in my imagination, at home sitting in front of the computer... !) then sends hi-presssure fuel thru three metal pipes to the injectors. This should be on the starboard side, near upper front of the engine.
Check the photo in this nearby thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...ter-with-double-racor-500s.17323/#post-127878

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Old post with lots of info about fuel bleeding:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Great info Kenneth. Does anyone know the metric/sae size of the bleed bolt on the top of the spin-on filter housing...?
Loren confirmed there is a knurled knob at the injector bleeder.
I will try to bleed first at the filter housing, then the injector bleeder. Hope that works.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Youtube was my friend for learning filter steps.

Changing Filters

Universal overview

I got the most (for my Yanmar) out of this guy's work. Good overviews.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
As the OP of this thread...I can only say what a terrific explanation for understanding the "how to" of the fuel bleed process which is so very important. THANKS AGAIN !