• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fixed Port Replacement Nightmare

Richard Elliott

Member III
Based on existing threads, I thought fixed port reglazing would be relatively easy. Removed the four fixed ports on our 1989 E34 and took them to Olympia Glass to replace the Lexan with laminated glass. Picked up the windows a week later and they were way oversize for the openings. Took them back for recutting and they still wouldn't fit. Two of their crew spent one hour with rubber hammers and prybars with no luck and left the job. Finally wound up taking the windows to D.K. Boos in Lacey who said the glass was cut so irregular that it could not be reused. After replacement, the windows fit O.K. but installation was not easy. The bill to Olympia Glass was $210 and $340 to D.K. Boos, but I recovered $605 from Olympia Glass in Small Claims Court. A relatively easy project started in mid-Sept. is finally closed.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes

Wow. And, this must the polite version of the story...
Hard to believe that a company could not re-lens the old Lewmar alloy frames without changing the size of the frames (if that's what they did).

My external Lexan lenses (frameless) are starting to look better all the time. :rolleyes:

Loren
'88 O-34

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sometimes you think something that should be easy turns out
to be a PITA. Whenever I outsource any kind of fabrication, the
shop is provided with either a drawing, or better yet, an accurate
template or both.

Martin