• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fixedlight Gaskets

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Per requests, I'm moving this thread over to Ericsonyachts.org so that the admittedly very crude scan of the gasket section can be included -- this is from my 1988 38-200 with Lewmar ports. The email thread from Sailnet is included below.

______
Either/or. How much do you need? I was able to complete three of the four windows with the existing gasket, but the fourth of course fell apart. I have 25 feet coming and only need about 5 to finish up. Otherwise feel free to call Wefco -- I talked to a guy named PJ there. They charge $100 for retooling, and then its $50 for 25 feet.

I'm attaching a rather crude scan of the end section of the gasket which is being fabricated -- it has a scale next to it so you can see the size. Let me know if you have any questions.

---- Original Message ----
To: ericson@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:54:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ericson] Port Light gaskets

I also have a 1988 38-200 and need to replace my gaskets. Can you give me information about your order and maybe I can piggy back on your order. Or if you did not place your order yet we can split the costs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply-To: "Ericson" <ericson@list.sailnet.net>
To: ericson
Subject: Re: [ericson] Port Light gaskets
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

Are you talking about the fixedlights or the opening? My problem was with the fixedlights, the gasket between the glass and the aluminum extrusion. I had the same experience with Select Plastics -- I've ordered some from Wefco Rubber but it is a special order, so after sending them a section of the old gasket, I had to pay a retooling fee and buy a minumum of 25 ft, of which I only need 5. I thought about trying to make do with some other gasket but decided it was such a PITA to remove, disassemble and rebed the fixedlights that I wanted to only do it once. My boat is a 1988 38-200.

----- Original Message ----
To: ericson@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:57:38 PM
Subject: [ericson] Port Light gaskets

Now that I'm ready to address the leaks in the port lights,

I find that the gasket material is unavailable.

I talked to Select Plastics and they said they have none and can no longer get it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

walt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• gasket.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

Walter Pearson

Member III
Gasket

I have to wonder why tooling for this is needed. The scan looks like it is Wefco's #2154. Evidently there were lights made with different glass thicknesses, so that is worth double-checking. Some time ago, Kevin Wright sent me a small sample of gasket that was supposed to be 2154, but looked like it was meant for thinner glass - and he reported difficulty during assembly. I do remember postings from someone who did have tooling made for gasket to fit the thinner glass. Perhaps these two extrusions get mixed up.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I talked to them about 2154, but on the fax they sent me, it looked too small to fit the channel in the aluminum extrusion. Consequently I sent them a section of the failed gasket and they confirmed that 2154 was thinner and smaller than the gasket currently used on my boat.

I wanted something that would fill the channel so I could maintain a good seal, but at the same time, no bigger than what I already had which would have prevented me from getting the window back together again (I thought about using 1443, but was concerned that I wouldn't be able to press the pieces back together again.