• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flag halyard replacement

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My flag halyard has been missing since I've owned the boat and I finally bought a replacement line. Is there any special knot that is used to join the two ends of the line to make it a continuous loop?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I've seen that site before. The "blood knot" in the fishing section looks like it would work; clean and smooth. Might be a little big when tied with the size line I have. Used to use that knot a lot tying tippets to leaders when fly fishing...

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've seen that site before. The "blood knot" in the fishing section looks like it would work; clean and smooth. Might be a little big when tied with the size line I have. Used to use that knot a lot tying tippets to leaders when fly fishing...

Serious overkill. The Scout's "fisherman's knot" (actually they show the "double fisherman's knot" which is also overkill) is a simple and adequate knot (technically, I believe it's a "bend," not a "knot") to tie two lines together of the same diameter.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
If you want a nice continous line try splicing the ends together. We have done this for furling lines on continous line furlers. I try to avoid knots when ever possible as splices are stronger and look a lot nicer. Gives one the opportunity to stay fresh with this skill too. Go to New England ropes or Samson's websites for instructions.

jgarmin098

Member II
I don't get it. Why a continuous line? Mine has a snap hook at each end. One for the top of the burgee, one for the bottom.

What am I missing?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Depends on how you attach the flag. Some flag hooks I have seen stay with the flag and can go right onto the line. Your set-up is more common thought.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Good ideas.

The halyard is only 1/8". I have a hard enough time trying to splice 3/8" or 1/2" line...

Keeping the line continuous would eliminate any possibility of dropping one end and having it end up at the spreader and having to go up to retrieve it.

Glyn Judson

Flag halyard configuring.

Mark, I've been silent on this until now and thought I'd share with you what I have on my flag halyard. I use two pair of bronze sister hooks with swivels (thanks Greg), one pair attached to the flag and one pair each attached to either end of the halyard. When not in use, I join the halyard sister hooks and cleat the line to an Aladdin cleat on a shroud. Simple as pie. For what it's worth, I attached the hooks to the halyard using simple bowline knots. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
OK Glyn, I'll bite. What's a sister hook? A brummel hook? A trigger hook? A boat snap?

You have to remember some of us are very young and don't know all this nautical stuff, but we will learn. :)

Of course, it would appear to me that unless you are a bronze freak one pair would do the same job.

Glyn Judson

Waaast's a sister hook?

Tom, Mark and all, Well dang, all I could find as an example of what one looks like are these Ronstan ones http://www.sailingsupply.com/Ronstan-Sister-Clips/id/33/prod/410 They have to be turned 180 degrees to each other for the narrow openings to line up and when together they position themselves in the closed area away from the openings, kind of like looping your closed thumb and index fingers of one hand through the same loop in the other. It takes a pair on the flag and a pair on the halyard in order for it all to work properly. Sorry to "term drop" but I really did think that was a commonly known part and name. Anyone else have a better photo example of sister hooks that they can post here? Glyn

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the explanation of the sister hooks. I found that same site earlier today but couldn't figure out from the picture how they worked. Now it makes sense.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
That is what I call a brummel hook. I used them on the sheets of the Lightnings I raced many decades ago.

Note that they come in bronze for the purist, Glyn. :cool:

Attachments

• Brummel hook.jpg
    Brummel hook.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Brummel/sister hook.

Tom, Well, learned something new today, I never heard of a brummel hook. Thanks for the better image too. Glyn

u079721

Contributing Partner
No flag hooks!

At first we also tried using various types of hooks to attach our stern flag to the flagpole. But after awhile the constant clattering of the hooks against the pad-eyes as the flag would wave in the wind got to be WAY to annoying. So I just seized the flag to the pay-eyes mounted on the pole with some twine and was done with it. Seems as if it would wear out, but the seizing lasted over four years.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You guys would love the custom aluminum pig stick my metal guy and I made last year. Sticks like 4' above the masthead. has a swivel to keep the burgee streaming straight and has rubber bumpers to protect the mast paint. Had to have it for my New England cruise but quickly found out in Nantucket Harbor that without a signaling cannon for sunrise and sunset you were just another peasant.. I'll try and get a picture of the pig stick.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That is what I call a brummel hook. I used them on the sheets of the Lightnings I raced many decades ago.

Note that they come in bronze for the purist, Glyn. :cool:

Brummel hook is my word for that too. Never heard of the term "sister hook."

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I use a harken standup block at the masthead and 1/8" dyneema (amsteel) for the halyard. Low stretch... Will get a picture of the pigstick soon.,

Rhynie

Member III
Even if you use the hooks it is not a bad idea to leave a little extra line and tie the ends together in a continuous loop. If the flag tears, or one end gets away from you, it will save a trip up the mast. Even better is if your cleat has a center hole, run it through there so it stays captive.