• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flag? Size?

Sails Call

New to Ericson boats, we just purchased a 29. Want to buy a flag to fly on the back, but, don't know what size? Is there an Ericson flag out there?
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure what you have in mind, but after flying the national flag/yacht ensign from the stern/backstay, and hoisting your YC or other personal burgee from the starboard spreader.... you could hoist a personal flag from the spreader, probably either side. There are old and 'proper' flag protocols for displaying flags, but from observing other boats, a lot of owners really do not know or care, :)
And then there are other decorative places for flags.... https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/impress-your-friends-with-burgee-display.14807/#post-106073

More flag ideas....

peaman

Sustaining Member
Not sure what you have in mind, but after flying the national flag/yacht ensign...
Agreed. The flag staff at the aft rail is for flying the flag of the home nation. Any other flags or pennants can be displayed at spreader halyards or bow pulpit.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Agreed. The flag staff at the aft rail is for flying the flag of the home nation. Any other flags or pennants can be displayed at spreader halyards or bow pulpit.
On our 30 footer our home flag size 12 inches by 18 inches on the stern rail looks good, not too big but not too small either.
Frank

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
From Flag Etiquette (West Marine)

How large of a flag for my boat?

[West Marine] recommends a flag that is 1 inch long for every 1 foot of boat length with a staff that is twice the length of the flag’s vertical edge.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Yes it's supposedly improper, but I fly a 20x30 inch flag on the starboard spreader. Birds love to sit on the boom and when not flying the flag there, the companionway hatch is constantly covered in their white droppings. Movement of the flag that close keeps them off the boom.

As for the flag, this one is heavy fabric and has four rows of stitching, so while it costs more than many, it's not coming apart like the cheaper flags.

71aYwDg-sPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have the yacht ensign one-third down on the leech. It is sewn on at the grommets. Actually, not sewn--I used small cable ties through holes burned through the sail.

The ensign stays on most of the time, and gets furled with the sail. Looks good, and is traditional.

ensign.JPG

peaman

Sustaining Member
Yes it's supposedly improper, but I fly a 20x30 inch flag on the starboard spreader. Birds love to sit on the boom and when not flying the flag there, the companionway hatch is constantly covered in their white droppings. Movement of the flag that close keeps them off the boom.

As for the flag, this one is heavy fabric and has four rows of stitching, so while it costs more than many, it's not coming apart like the cheaper flags.

Displaying a US flag from the stbd spreader in US waters suggests that the vessel is a foreign visitor, flying the courtesy flag of the visited country.

bumbugo

Member I
Thanks Christian for explaining how to fly the ensign off the edge of the main.

You can check Chapman for flag etiquette.

I for one want to hoist all our flags for a festive event, but do want to honor the US flag.

bumbugo

Member I
You got it! We have an Classic Boat Regatta coming up in early September. Formerly known as the the Good Old Boat Regatta. We want the parade of boats to be festive. I want to show off our boat's trophy flags as well as our sailing club's burgee and the American flag. We will follow "protocol" as best we can!

71aYwDg-sPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I took your recommendation and ordered one. And I’ll try Christian’s technique for flying it on the leech.
My sails are so old and in need of replacement over the winter that it’s hard to imagine I could screw anything up!