• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Florida Gulf Coast

gadangit

Member III
I'm looking for suggestions on where to go for a two week cruise early 2019 on Florida's gulf coast. Some place we can land from our Gulf crossing from Texas, re-provision and then head out for multiple spots to anchor. Our boat draws 6' and I'm struggling with finding anything on my first pass in looking around at the charts. A cruising guide is needed, but I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!
Chris

Did you ever make the trip to Florida's west coast? Six feet of draft is kind of limiting. I had 3' 11" and got by pretty well for 30 years. The longer I sailed the better I got at not runniung aground. How did that work?

gadangit

Member III
No, we never did. It was a combination of life and not seeing a good spot to hang out over there. We are intending to pass through late spring, early summer. Probably stop by the Dry Tortugas on our way around the Keys.
Maybe you know this: Can you get from the gulf side to Marathon? It looks like a 6' draft could make it through and then under the 7 mile bridge. Staring at charts and pondering the future...

kapnkd

kapnkd
No, we never did. It was a combination of life and not seeing a good spot to hang out over there. We are intending to pass through late spring, early summer. Probably stop by the Dry Tortugas on our way around the Keys.
Maybe you know this: Can you get from the gulf side to Marathon? It looks like a 6' draft could make it through and then under the 7 mile bridge. Staring at charts and pondering the future...

We moved our E-32 with a 5’ draft from Miami to Sarasota passing through the bridge at Marathon ...but that was back in ‘81. I don’t recall ever being nervous about the depths all the way up to Naples. ...Tried using the Inter-coastal from Naples to Ft. Meyers and THAT was a mistake at the time! (Do NOT wander out of the channel between markers. You’ll see birds barely getting their ankles wet!)

‘81 is LONG time ago, so DO watch you charts & depth finder but it was doable.

Another guy (now deceased--killed in a motorcycle accident in NC) and I wrote the Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys. He did the on-the-water stuff and I did the on-the-land stuff. My recollection is that there is plenty of water at Marathon under the bridge. Boot Key Harbor there is a famous stopping over place, accessed on the south side of Marathon. It does get skinny on the north side of the Keys from time to time if one is in the ICW. Just be smart and cautious. It might be wise to have a towing service backup if you make the trip and plan to spend time in the Keys. The Dry Tortugas is worth the trip. Plenty of water there. Queen Elizabeth stopped there on the royal yacht Britannia for a day or two. I have no idea what that vessel drew but one can bet it was more than six feet. By the way the fishing out in the Dry Tortugas is sensational. You have to act quickly to pull the hooked fish in before sharks and barracudas shred it.

Does it have the Ericson logo on it? In my old age I cannot recall making any that way. However, call me at 941-773-8286 and we’ll discuss making you another half dozen new ones for free because you have been so steadfast.

Tegski

Morgan, im also a local 941 guy. Just purchased a 1978 E29 from a gentleman out if Saint Pete Beach. Im a bit of a youngster but love glass work. Is that something I could purchase a 2 or 4 piece set of??