• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Folding propeller

Sailingfun

Member III
I'm thinking to install a folding propeller on my E27. This unit comes with a Volvo md7a and saildrive 110s.
Thinking to optimize the low hp with a 3 folding propeller. But I found a thousand options and by experience, I know folding does not have a quick response on the reverse.
Experiences, comments, tough??
Thanks in advance!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I had the folding 2 blade Volvo saildrive on my SJ26. The engine, however was a D1-13. It gave good performance in reverse. The secrete was to give a quick blast of power in reverse to open the blades then immediately back down. The SJ could make 7.1kn wide open with this prop.

JPS27

Member III
You have a saildrive on an e27? I hadn't heard of that set up before. If so, I don't have an opinion on the set up. I have tried a martec 2 blade and didn't like the response or control i got. Given the challenges of reverse I opted for control and went with the fixed 3 blade on my 27.

Bob Robertson

Member III
I've had a two blade prop for years and it works great. I don't think I noticed a change using reverse when I changed from the two bladed fixed prop. When I bought the new two blade prop I wanted a three blade prop, but it was significantly more money and I wasn't willing to pay that much more. I'm perfectly happy with the two blade prop.