• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Found this Ericson 30+ for sale.

JPS27

Member III
Just saw this as I look at other ericson models and I think about moving up in size (someday). I hadn't seen it before in my searches so thought I'd share. Looks nice to my relatively untrained eye.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
She is clean, with radar for the Maine fog and Dodger to keep you dry, she looks like a good find.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Quite a gouge in the keel. Lots of reefs in that area I guess.
The engine looks just like a Universal diesel, as it should -- ad sez it's a gas engine. Wonder what else was misstated.
It does look clean in the pix.

Of course not much matters until you get aboard and eyeball it.

JPS27

Member III
She is clean, with radar for the Maine fog and Dodger to keep you dry, she looks like a good find.
I've been doing research on Ericsons between 30 and 32 feet. As I single hand most of the time that's my comfort zone in terms of length. I've learned a lot about what I want, like, need, don't want over the past 7 years with my 27. Some of those factors include what my wife would prefer. She enjoys day sailing on the 27 but sailing to anchorages and living life for a weekend on a cramped 27 is not her idea of a good time. So that's a factor.

Mark, what's the access like to the engine for maintenance? What about the engine placement makes things a royal pain? One thing I've read is that's one draw back. Storage isn't a big deal for me since I don't typically travel for extended periods (yet).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of a 30-ish "Ericson" to move to someday, isn't there a site member in your general geographic area with an Olson 911 you might have a look at, just to pique your interest?
:)

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Quite a gouge in the keel. Lots of reefs in that area I guess.
The engine looks just like a Universal diesel, as it should -- ad sez it's a gas engine. Wonder what else was misstated.
It does look clean in the pix.

Of course not much matters until you get aboard and eyeball it.
Yes. Being from Maine (and an annual visitor) I saw that keel and went "ouch" So would that be a mashed hunk of lead? If that had been my 27 I'm guessing I would have sunk given the hollow sump.

I'm taking this slow and steady. I might take a look at this boat if it is still there when I travel that direction later this year.

JPS27

Member III
Speaking of 30-ish Ericsons to move to someday, isn't there a site member in your general geographic area with an Olson 911 you might have a look at, just to pique your interest?
:)
You are correct and I thought it was an Olson (ericson) too. But I just checked my club directory and it's listed as an ericson 32. If I see the owner I'll ask, perhaps I have a looksee from an appropriate distance.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Don't know what the market is like in Maine, but the asking price is way more than it would fetch out here--especially with the keel damage.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Name obscured is SOP for that brokerage. They do that on all their listings. Engine access is fine on the 30+ but access to trans and shaft/coupling is another story.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Obscuring the name means you are not necessarily looking at the listed boat. Obscuring it sloppily suggests nobody is in charge.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yes buyer beware with this listing. "Pop Yachts" the broker seems to be no more than a sale listing database. They have boats listed from all corners of the country and most with extensive pictures so they must hire local photographers to do that is my best guess. When I was actively looking I ran across a few of their listings and when I called it was always leave a message and wait for a call back. Then they couldn't answer any questions directly and would have to find out and call back again. After a couple of those encounters I pretty much excluded any of their listings from my search. They must sell boats as they have a ton of listings but I found it a impersonal experience. I guess others may be ok with the process it just wasn't my cup of tea.

JPS27

Member III
Thanks for the insights. I saw this boat on iboats.com or some such place. I sent an inquiry and got contacted by POPYachts. I know less than a little about boat brokers. What I know, I know second hand and mostly from this discussion board. I talked to a broker from POP. Here's what I was told. They list boats to all the main websites. They take inquiries into boats they list. They feed those inquiries to the local reps if they exist. For instance they have 2 reps in my region. They have no reps close to Wiscasset, ME, which is why he believes they only have 49 pictures of this particular boat. Supposedly they would play the role a real estate broker takes with all the paperwork, legal stuff. I also described my boat and found that they would encourage a listing price way beyond what I would consider realistic. (I noticed that an E27 in WV (!) that has been for sale on the web for years at 18K is listed by them).

I've read what I can find on brokers on this site. Very informative. POP seems like a brokerage of the internet era, almost like a franchiser with many many franchisees individual brokers all over the country. On the other hand, I've looked up brokers in my immediate area and they seem very mom-and-pop with not a lot of reach. At least their marketing leaves a lot to be desired.

What are the telltales of a good broker?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Couldn't describe those telltales as not sure I have identified a "good" broker as of yet. You have to read between the lines a little and do a lot of homework on the boat and the broker. I am sure there are some straight shooters out there but haven't met one yet. If you don't ask about something specifically when inquiring they won't offer the info/issue. Maybe another here can suggest one in your neck of the woods. As always make any offer pending on survey and sea trial.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Personal opinion from a region with a lot of brokers and a lot of boats, typed as fast as I can.

A good broker is local and been in business a while (20 years would be nice). He is often in the office because he manages the joint or owns it.

He knows who the seller is, because he doesn't sell boats owned by known flakes, or boats with giant problems, because he has been in business too long for that hassle. He can and will get the seller on the phone and ask him your questions. He isn't an expert on the boat on, nor claim to be, but he knows a lot about boats. He has a reputation. He has survived in what is a difficult business that depends on reputation, and weathers deep recessions periodically.

He probably won't list many boats for an ask of less than $30K, because private sales make sense for that. He probably takes 10 percent of the sale price. He proably has a minimum, maybe 2K, meaning that if a $25K listing sells for $15K, he still gets 2K. Broker quote: "I have to have a minimum or else the sales people won't show the boat. It will just sit there." More on salesmen in a moment.

To sell a boat, I visit the owner or manager. We work out a plan for the photos, specs and such. We look at the broker's proprietary report on actual sale prices of my model nationally and locally--a list not available to private parties. We price it together. Usually "high." Broker quote: "People want a good deal and that never means paying more than the asking price." The broker is a partner in the sale, and I plan to rely on him to get it done.

The boat will actually be shown to prospective buyers by a salesperson. They usually know something, but rarely a lot. They are not in the job as a career. They get a commission when they sell a boat, often split with others who have shown it. The good ones offer to follow up with the owner on specific questions, but often don;t. They usually never see a prospect again, and showing boats to strangers isn't much fun, I am told. Deals fall apart, emotions get crazy over a missing dinghy oar. One deal I had, that fell through at the last moment when the boat was withdrawn from the market, the salesman/broker confessed he had shown the boat 17 times and now would never get a commission at all.

The reality is that Ericson owners and buyers are in every case dealing with a product that's 30-40 years old or more. Brokers weren't designed for that--the money is in financing a new Beneteau with 20 percent down. Old boats aren't eligible for bank loans, so all Ericson owners must have other financial resources. There's much less opportunity for an impulse sale. It's just harder. Folks are afraid of being cheated. Cheated? No old boat has a set value, it's what somebody wants to pay.

So, in sum-- and to get back to the Rams vs Seattle Wild Card--brokers are invaluable for boats over 30K, and have marginal commitment to small or bargain boats. Their interest and commitment will show accordingly.

This is LA, of course: 5,000 boats in Marina del Rey, 18 operating marinas, sailmakers and support business all around, reputations easy to discover. May not apply to more pastoral zones, or a zone with a viable quarterback in post season.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Seems LA has a viable quarterback & a defense to boot ! Lot of boats and boatyards around the Great Lakes too. In my recent search which ended a year ago I physically looked at 14 boats some a lot closer than others & probably initially inquired into 25-30. Now I think I should qualify my observations as I was a low $ buyer in the market and I would agree with Christian that if I had been looking at $40k boats I probably would have had much better experiences.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Seems LA has a viable quarterback & a defense to boot ! Lot of boats and boatyards around the Great Lakes too. In my recent search which ended a year ago I physically looked at 14 boats some a lot closer than others & probably initially inquired into 25-30. Now I think I should qualify my observations as I was a low $ buyer in the market and I would agree with Christian that if I had been looking at $40k boats I probably would have had much better experiences.
I think some buyers mistakenly look for the best, lowest price, without giving enough consideration to the added cost, time and frustration of doing repairs and upgrades to bring it to the level of an initially more expensive boat that might ultimately reflect better care and better value for dollar.
Frank

JPS27

Member III
Thank you! These responses are very helpful. If and when I look seriously for a bigger or different boat I will proceed with much caution regarding brokers. I'd be looking in a price range that would suggest going about the process sans broker and relying on my own surveyors and local experts. I have learned a lot over the years bringing my first boat back to life. I just don't want to do that again. One benefit of doing my own work has been getting to know a lot the knowledgeable people who continue to take pity on someone who got in a little over his head. In the beginning of my journey, my wife thought I was preparing to leave her... that something was wrong. I was spending so much time at the boat. I was upside down in my boat literally and figuratively I worried she'd leave me when she found out I was spending money on things a smarter person would have passed on. It all worked out. But the boat is too small for her now.

Again, thanks for the responses and the time taken. Enjoy wild card weekend.